[comp.sys.mac] Keyboard problems

tra4@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Jonathan H. Traum) (05/15/87)

Every now and then, my keyboard will start repeating a key over and over again
until I unplug the keyboard. It's fine again when I plug it back in. Can
anybody provide a reasonably easy solution, or will I have to get a new
keyboard?

Thanks in advance.

tra4@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Jonathan H. Traum) (05/15/87)

In my previous message, my signature file didn't get included. Here it is
(I hope):

--
Jonathan Traum           "I read the news today, oh boy." -- The Beatles
UUCP: ...!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!tra4

isle@dartvax.UUCP (05/16/87)

In article <1695@sphinx.uchicago.edu> tra4@sphinx.uchicago.edu (Jonathan H. Traum) writes:
>Every now and then, my keyboard will start repeating a key over and over again
>until I unplug the keyboard. It's fine again when I plug it back in. Can
>anybody provide a reasonably easy solution, or will I have to get a new
>keyboard?
>
>Thanks in advance.

One thing that I've found with the modular plugs is that over time, the
contacts get bent so that they don't have a solid connection.  The simple
solution (which may or may not solve your problem) is to take a small
screwdriver, paperclip, or swiss army knife (No, of course we don't hack...)
and carefully bend the contacts out.  Fortunately, modular plugs are well
constructed so there is little chance of metal fatigue. :)  Just be careful
doing it...

--
Ken Hancock :) //  UUCP: isle@dartvax                 //   >> DISCLAIMER <<
==============// BITNET: isle@u2.dartmouth.edu       // Complain to our pres...

tecot@apple.UUCP (Ed Tecot) (05/19/87)

It's that numeric keypad that you probably have.  Remove it and your
problems will go away.

						_emt

robiner@oberon.USC.EDU (Steve Robiner) (08/24/87)

I have a mac and have been having trouble with my keyboard recently.

The '7' key refuses to work and the '3' key is sticky, ie press it
once and 4 or 5 '3's are recieved.  What can I do about this.  I haven't
spilled anything on the keyboard, so I assume it's just dust.  I tried taking
the keyboard apart and blowing the dust out, but it didn't help.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance,
=Steve=

korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (08/24/87)

In <4191@oberon.USC.EDU>, robiner@usc-oberon (Steve Robiner) said:
>I have a mac and have been having trouble with my keyboard recently.
>
>The '7' key refuses to work and the '3' key is sticky...

9 times out of 10, the fix to this is to liberally spray the infected
area with Acme NoStiK (tm) (aka compressed air).  Usually you'll have to
open up the keyboard first--not enough air will get to the parts of
the keys that are sticking otherwise.

Peter
--
Peter "Arrgh" Korn
korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

lad@eplrx7.UUCP (Lawrence Dziegielewski) (08/25/87)

In article <4191@oberon.USC.EDU>, robiner@oberon.USC.EDU (Steve Robiner) writes:
> The '7' key refuses to work and the '3' key is sticky, ie press it
> once and 4 or 5 '3's are recieved.  What can I do about this.  I haven't
> =Steve=

All you need to do is run down to your local friendly (?) Apple dealer and
buy a couple of key switches and install them yourself.  It should take you
no more than 10 minutes to do them if you're careful.  Just open the case by
removing the 6 screws,  locate the offending keys and de-solder them,  snap
in the new keys and re-solder.  Total cost,  $10.,  tops.

If you don't want to do the soldering the Apple dealer should do it for you
for no more than $10. (each).

Hope this helps.

--
	Lawrence A. Dziegielewski	|	E.I. Dupont Co.
	...{dgis!psuvax1}!eplrx7!lad	|	Engineering Physics Lab

socha@drivax.UUCP (Henri J. Socha (x6251)) (08/25/87)

When I had sticky keys on my Mac 128/512 I knew that the problem was not
dust.  Pressing the   Q,Z, or K keys and they would SSLLOOWWLLYY come back up.
Now, don't ask my why those keys, I can't figure it out either.  They are
SO far apart on the keyboard.  Anyway, I did the following:

  *****	WARNING, All guarantees disappear and I never told you this. *****
(I do not know if this works for the new ADB keyboards but it probably does.)

Check that the problem is a REAL sticky key the following will not solve
other problems like a bad keyboard encoder.  (I don't know how, it's an
exercise left for the reader.)

Purchases keyswitches from your apple local dealer.  Mine cost about
$2.00 each and I bought 5 at the time (in case more keys got bad - they didn't).
And yes, I had NO trouble buying them other than the wait till they arrived.

Remove keycaps from key to be replaced and those around it.

Take keyboard apart and note that copper traces exist ONLY on the back side.

Unsolder the keys in question.  Use a solder sucker(sp?) or wick-wire to remove
all the solder from around the key connector so that it is loose in its hole.
This is very important as the key will be removed from the top and you do not
have an extra pair of hands to be de-soldering at the same time from the bottom.

  (And now, the following from memory.)

On the keyswitch side, examine the key.  It is attached to a metal plate for
support but it snaps in/out.  The trick and I forgot the exact details
is to get it to snap out.  Like removing closed tie-wraps without cutting.
Look at the replacement keyswitch to see where and how the snap/latch is.
As I remember they were on the sides and I needed real tiny needle-nose
plyers.  Be sure not to damage other keys around the one to be replaced.

Once out, insert the replacement, resolder, put housing and keycaps back on
and you are done.

Now, that was easy (it took me an hour or so one evening) but isn't it
easier and cheaper (total time wise) to get your dealer to do it?

And the above is definitely NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART.
--
UUCP:...!amdahl!drivax!socha                                      WAT Iron'75
"Everything should be made as simple as possible but not simpler."  A. Einstein

suhler@im4u.UUCP (Paul A. Suhler) (08/27/87)

After over two years of use, I had a key stick on mine.  I opened up the
keyboard, was horrified at the thought of trying to unsolder the thing,
and instead got out some Radio Shack cleaner/degreaser spray (which comes
with a little tube to direct the spray).  A couple of squirts at each of
the openings on the switch, and it worked fine.  It's been about three
months now, and no relapses.
--
Paul Suhler        suhler@im4u.UTEXAS.EDU	512-474-9517/471-3903