[comp.sys.mac] Request for DA able to edit file type and creator

rhone@ubc-csgrads.uucp (Brock Rhone) (08/22/87)

I need a DA that will allow me to change a file's type and creator.

I have DiskInfo which *displays* these attributes but doesn't allow me
to edit them.  I also have the shareware application MacSnoop (like
FEdit) which does allow changing them, but it is an application, and a
DA would be *much* more convenient, since I will have to do this quite
often.

Brock Rhone
Department of Computer Science
University of British Columbia		UUCP	ubc-vision!grads!rhone
Vancouver, BC, CANADA  V6T 1W5		Phone	(604) 733-1531 (home)

t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (08/22/87)

In article <1599@ubc-cs.UUCP> rhone@ubc-csgrads.UUCP (Brock Rhone) writes:
>I need a DA that will allow me to change a file's type and creator.

Dreams of the Phoenix puts out a disk called Quick & Dirty Utilities vol.2 that
has an Fkey which lets you do that.  Called "Setfile Fkey", it also lets you
change the rest of the finder bits.  The advantage of an Fkey is that you can
get to it from places that yo can't with a DA, like in the Font/DA mover.

ching@amd.AMD.COM (Mike Ching) (08/22/87)

In article <1599@ubc-cs.UUCP> rhone@ubc-csgrads.UUCP (Brock Rhone) writes:
>I need a DA that will allow me to change a file's type and creator.

Get the McSink DA by Dave McWherter, Signature Software which has
everything including the kitchen sink.

mike ching

jac%tut.cis.ohio-state.edu@osu-eddie.UUCP (Jim Clausing) (08/24/87)

In article <1599@ubc-cs.UUCP> rhone@ubc-csgrads.UUCP (Brock Rhone) writes:
>I need a DA that will allow me to change a file's type and creator.
>
>I have DiskInfo which *displays* these attributes but doesn't allow me
>to edit them.  I also have the shareware application MacSnoop (like
>FEdit) which does allow changing them, but it is an application, and a
>DA would be *much* more convenient, since I will have to do this quite
>often.
>
>Any information would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Brock Rhone
I have used both DeskZap (posted to comp.binaries.mac a few months
back) and FileInfo (from Q&D Util. Vol. 1 by Dreams of the Phoenix)
to do just what you have requested.  That's all FileInfo does,
DeskZap does quite a bit more and is well worth it.
-=-
Jim Clausing

"Is it time for a colorful metaphor?"

CIS Department
Ohio State University		jac@ohio-state.edu
Columbus, OH 43210		jac@osu-eddie.UUCP
		Compuserve:	74726,2015
		GEnie:		J.CLAUSING

(Disclaimer:  Ohio State doesn't have opinions on anything that I
 have opinions on and if they did I wouldn't claim theirs so why
 should they claim mine?)

clubmac@runx.UUCP (08/26/87)

In article <1599@ubc-cs.UUCP> rhone@ubc-csgrads.UUCP (Brock Rhone) writes:
>I need a DA that will allow me to change a file's type and creator.
>
>I have DiskInfo which *displays* these attributes but doesn't allow me
>to edit them.  I also have the shareware application MacSnoop (like
>FEdit) which does allow changing them, but it is an application, and a
>DA would be *much* more convenient, since I will have to do this quite
>often.
>
>Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I would strongly recommend that you buy DiskTop from CE Software (advertised
in May '87 MacTutor, I think..), which is a truly amazing Desk Accessory that
has loads of *USEFUL* features such as rename, delete, move, copy and setfinder
info on files. It also accepts the use of arrow/modifier keys, behaving like
Standard File.

Jason Haines, President

Club Mac Macintosh Users Group, Sydney, Australia
Telecom:   (02) 73-4444
Snail:     Box 213, Holme Building, Sydney University, NSW, 2006, Australia
ACSnet:    clubmac@runx.ips.oz	   ARPA:   clubmac%runx.ips.oz@seismo.css.gov
UUCP:{enea,hplabs,mcvax,prlb2,seismo,ubc-vision,ukc}!munnari!runx.ips.oz!clubmac

drc@dbase.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (08/28/87)

I would strongly recommend DiskTop from CE Software.  Version 1.2 is the "try
it out" version available on numerous BBSs.  Version 3.0 is the currently
shipping version.  Also allows you to copy, move, rename, delete, unmount, etc.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team
Disclaimer:  The above opinions are my own.  I don't know whether my employer
has any opinions, much less what they might be.  My only connection with CE
Software is that of a very satisfied, longtime customer.