[comp.sys.mac] A few questions...

john@felix.UUCP (John Gilbert) (08/04/87)

Hello out there...

I am a relatively new Mac programmer who now has several reasons for
wanting to accelerate my learning experience.  Tho I have a number of years
of experience as a programmer, much of it using C in the UNIX environment
(please save the editorial comments :-} ), I find the Mac to be somewhat
slow and a bit painful to learn.

I mainly have questions about the Apple sponsored classes which cover
introduction to the Mac, writing a mac application, using MacApp.
Is there anyone out there who has been through any of these courses that
can comment (E-MAIL to me) on their usefullness, thoroughness, etc.?
I am reluctant to shell out $700 for three days if it doesn't have a
big effect on the learning curve.  Is the one-day introduction class
worthwhile to someone with years of programming experience?

I have MPW and MPW C, and have no real problems negotiating these.  It
is the Mac concepts, apparently explained in 1500 pages of Inside
Macintosh that I want help with.

Also, if anyone out there is willing to answer a few questions about
MPW and MPW C, could they contact me.  Things like how to use
in-line 68000 instructions within a .c file.  I could use a little
advice if someone has the time.

While I'm here, does anyone know how I can obtain any existing literature
about Acius and their much touted database.  All articles I have seen
speak highly, but provide little substance.  Does Acius distribute
any product literature?  An address would help.  Hey, if you Guys (excuse
the pun) are listening, send information to me at the address below.  Thanks.

Thanks,

John Gilbert
...{trwrb,hplabs,ihnp4,oliveb}!felix!john

3533 Elmwood Dr.
Riverside, CA   92506

--
John Gilbert
!trwrb!felix!john

hallett@macbeth.steinmetz (Jeff R Hallett) (08/27/87)

Hi y'all!

Just a few questions for you...

1.  Have any of you used the PC Mac keyboard?  It looks like the IBM
PC's keyboard and feels like it, but it is for the Mac.  Personally,
this is the one part I like about the PC and if I could use it with the
Mac, that would be great.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

2.  Do any of you have Open Mac Enterprises memory upgrades from the 1M
-> 2M?  Have you found any incompatiblities?

3.  Do any of you superhackers know how to install a font into an
application so that application can use it?  I am writing a program that
will display text to the user and I want to use a font I've found in the
public domain, but I don't want to make the user install the font.  So
if I can install it in my application and then use it, great.  How can I
do this?

Thanks much,

Jeffrey A. Hallett               (hallett@ge-crd.arpa   hallett@desdemona.uucp)
Software Technology Program
General Electric Corporate Research and Development

"The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many"

                                 -- Kirk  (STIII)
Disclaimer:  My opinions do not represent my employer's, but it is his fault
             for giving me this thing.

sebruun@ihlpa.ATT.COM (Bruun) (08/28/87)

In article <7115@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, hallett@macbeth.steinmetz (Jeff R Hallett) writes:

> Hi y'all!

Hi, y'seff!

> Just a few questions for you...

OK, just a few answers for YOU...

> 1.  Have any of you used the PC Mac keyboard?  It looks like the IBM
> PC's keyboard and feels like it, but it is for the Mac.  Personally,
> this is the one part I like about the PC and if I could use it with the
> Mac, that would be great.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

I agree that the PC (*gag*) keyboard has a nice feel to it, but the
sucker is HUGE!!  I haven't got enough desk space as it is, and I find
that with the Suitcase's ability to load FKeys as I find them necessary,
I really don't need the PC-MacKey's custom configuration.  I have a
friend who LOVES his though (but he's always bled a little blue, being a
banker and all...)

> 2.  Do any of you have Open Mac Enterprises memory upgrades from the 1M
> -> 2M?  Have you found any incompatiblities?

I must admit ignorance here:  I've never heard of Open Mac Enterprises.
I'm running a MacMemory MaxPlus board, though, and can highly recommend
their stuff.  No problems (NULL, NIX, NADA) with anything.

> 3.  Do any of you superhackers know how to install a font into an
> application so that application can use it?  I am writing a program that
> will display text to the user and I want to use a font I've found in the
> public domain, but I don't want to make the user install the font.  So
> if I can install it in my application and then use it, great.  How can I
> do this?

Piece of the proverbial cake.  Open up the Font/DA Mover and hold down
the option key when you hit the Open button.  It will then let you open
any file you like and install your font directly into that file.  See?
You don't even have to be a superhacker!!  You can also, of course,
perform the same function with ResEdit, but that process is quite a bit
hairier and scarier.

> Thanks much,
>
>Jeffrey A. Hallett               (hallett@ge-crd.arpa   hallett@desdemona.uucp)
> Software Technology Program
> General Electric Corporate Research and Development

Hey, no sweat,

Steve Bruun
AT&T Bell Labs
Naperville, IL