[comp.sys.mac] 4th Dimension comments

danm@tekig5.TEK.COM (Daniel Milliron) (08/27/87)

I have been using 4th Dimension from Acius, Inc. for the past couple weeks
and have two comments for the net -- one good, one bad.

1. First the Good:  4th Dimension is THE best database for the Mac.  I have
   seen nearly all the others and 4D beats them in power, reliability, and
   ease of use (compared to the others as a group and not individually).  4D
   is not perfect, however.  I have made a list of ~8 not-terribly-important
   bug-like "features" I have come across.  I have another list of ~6 enhance-
   ments I would appreciate seeing.  BTW, Acius is working on the next version
   and they welcome feedback, so I am sending them my lists.

2. The Bad:  Acius has a policy that I would like to change via pressure from
   the network (if there is such a thing).  I discovered this policy when I
   phoned their tech support line.  Here's what happened:

   I had been having a problem getting some 4D-language procedures I had
   written to work.  Not only were the results not what I expected, but the
   program would crash with "ID=02" illegal-odd-address errors.  The techie
   at Acius told me that I was using a technique that was against the rules:
   changing the current record selection or current record pointer from within
   a layout procedure (it's OK from within a global procedure).  This rule is
   non-intuitive: there is no obvious reason for it.  I asked where that rule
   was, because in my nearly-four-times-thoroughly reading of the manuals I
   had not seen it.  He read it to me verbatim over the phone and said it was
   in the Developers' Notes.  [Explanation: the average purchaser of 4D ($699
   retail) is considered an end user.  For $695 extra, you can become a
   registered developer, entitling you to the Developers' Notes, a run-time
   environment for custom applications (only necessary if you are selling
   4D-based applications), and 50%-off the run-time libraries (object code
   enhancements).]  I told the techie that I was not a "Developer" and so I
   do not have the Notes.  No problem, he said, beecause they are available
   on CompuServe.  I don't subscribe to CompuServe either, so I am S.O.L.

   The bottom line is this:  Acius is selling you a product and not giving
   all the necessary documentation.  In this case I was not told about an
   obscure but very important rule about designing procedures.  Not getting
   all the documentation isn't so bad: it happens all the time with new
   software -- things get left out of the original versions of the manuals.
   What stinks is that Acius wants me to pay $695 or subscribe to an
   information service instead of supporting me with manual updates like
   all the other nice software publishers do.

   Speaking of their support, Acius's technical staff is always busy.  One time
   it took almost a week to get a phone call back.  The staff can be cocky and
   sarcastic, but then, so am I, so who cares.  They should staff the phones
   more, especially as their product sees a larger user population.  They should
   also provide a toll-free number.

All in all, I love 4D and enjoy using it.  I recommend it highly.  But if other
users feel the same way about this policy I described, let's let them know.
Their cockiness may make it harder to get policy changes, since they know they
have the best product on the market and that the competition is way behind.

Dan Milliron
Tektronix, Inc.

steve@atux01.UUCP (08/28/87)

In article <1842@tekig5.TEK.COM>, danm@tekig5.TEK.COM (Daniel Milliron) writes:

> I have been using 4th Dimension from Acius, Inc. for the past couple weeks
> and have two comments for the net -- one good, one bad.
>
> 1. First the Good:  4th Dimension is THE best database for the Mac.  I have
>    seen nearly all the others and 4D beats them in power, reliability, and
>    ease of use (compared to the others as a group and not individually).  4D
>    is not perfect, however.  I have made a list of ~8 not-terribly-important
>    bug-like "features" I have come across.  I have another list of ~6 enhance-
>    ments I would appreciate seeing.  BTW, Acius is working on the next version
>    and they welcome feedback, so I am sending them my lists.

I certainly agree with you on this point, 4D is the best available. At the
recent MacWorld Expo Adam Greene held a seminar showing the capabilities of
4D, Omnis 3+, Double Helix, and dBASE Mac, 4D certainly gets my vote as the
most powerful, flexible, etc.  In addition, like you I've had my copy of 4D
for a couple of weeks and am very impressed with its combination of power and
ease of use.  There are certainly some things I'd like to change (moving back
and forth between layouts, layout procedures, and global procedures can be a
pain) but overall I'm a very satisfied customer.

> 2. The Bad:  Acius has a policy that I would like to change via pressure from
>    the network (if there is such a thing).  I discovered this policy when I
>    phoned their tech support line.  Here's what happened:

     [ What followed was a discussion of Acius's use of Technical Notes
       to update registered developers on various aspects of programming
       with 4D. This included comments on their charge of $695 for their
       developer support program. ]

It is not unusual in the industry to charge extra for an extra measure of
support from a software publisher.  In addition many companies make
available additional information to users of their products through
technical notes that usually have a limited distribution as opposed to being
sent to every purchaser of the product (Note that Apple tech. notes are
available through APDA for a fee or on many on-line services).

The registered developer program has several benefits beyond the publishing
of technical notes, these include:

	o  50% discount on up to 5 copies of 4D
	o  50% discount on runtime modules
	o  a monthly mailing of tech notes, 4D news, and special offers
	o  unlimited tech support via phone, MCI Mail, or Applelink
	o  free upgrades or enhancements to 4D
	o  invitations to 4D developer training sessions

As mentioned in your article Acius does make their tech notes available
through Compuserve, so you don't have to join their program to obtain them.
The documentation that comes with 4D is very complete although not always
as clear as I would like in certain areas. To suggest that Acius supplement
their documentation with the information in the technical notes for every
purchaser of 4D seems unnecessary.  I personally know of no software
publisher sending free monthly documentation updates to their registered
owners.

Regarding the turnaround time for getting your technical question answered
by Acius, I haven't had the need to give them a call yet (although I have
been having a problem in a layout procedure that I'd like to discuss with
them), so I can't really comment on their telephone support or their
'cockiness' as you put it. However, Guy Kawasaki, at MacWorld did mention
that what Acius would like to have is 'fans' using their product, not just
customers, so if there is a problem in obtaining tech support I imagine
Acius would be willing to listen to any complaints and take some appropriate
action.

						Steve Michaele @ AT&T

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect those
	    of my employer, those involved in the contra-gate scandal, or
	    anyone else who might be offended by them.

	    I have no direct connection with Acius, Inc. aside from being
	    a satisfied customer and a member of their developer support
	    program.