[comp.sys.mac] Availability of HyperCard: It's here -- whoops!

moriarty@tc.fluke.COM (Jeff Meyer) (08/28/87)

One of our local Seattle computer stores got 140 copies of HyperCard in
yesterday morning.  By the time I got there at 6:00 to buy my copy, there
were 8 left.

                        "A scarred psyche is like a used Pinto... you can't
                         do anything with it."
                                        -- David Addison

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
INTERNET:     moriarty@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, hplsla, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO:        You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

planting@colby.WISC.EDU ( W. Harry Plantinga) (08/28/87)

I know that you are supposed to have 1 Mb memory to use hypercard, but
heck, with all the hype I can't restrain my technolust.  Can you use
hypercard at all on a mac 512KE?  Has anyone tried it?

Harry Plantinga
planting@cs.wisc.edu

barad@othello.usc.edu (Herb Barad) (08/29/87)

In article <4170@spool.wisc.edu.WISC.EDU> planting@colby.WISC.EDU ( W. Harry Plantinga) writes:
>I know that you are supposed to have 1 Mb memory to use hypercard, but
>heck, with all the hype I can't restrain my technolust.  Can you use
>hypercard at all on a mac 512KE?  Has anyone tried it?

No, I'd be willing to bet that you can't.  Here is one of my
experiences:  I have a Mac+ running MacServe with SuperLaserSpool
running on it.  Both of these take memory and because of these
(especially the laser spooler) I cannot run HyperCard in full mode, I
can only go 1 past browse.  I'd be willing to bet that 512K is not
even close enough.

Herb Barad	[USC - Signal and Image Processing Institute]
email:	barad@brand.usc.edu	or
	...!sdcrdcf!oberon!brand!barad

anson@elrond.UUCP (08/31/87)

In article <4170@spool.wisc.edu.WISC.EDU> planting@colby.WISC.EDU ( W. Harry Plantinga) writes:
>I know that you are supposed to have 1 Mb memory to use hypercard, but
>heck, with all the hype I can't restrain my technolust.  Can you use
>hypercard at all on a mac 512KE?  Has anyone tried it?

Apple suggests 1 Mb with HyperCard, and with good reason.  It turns out that
1 Mb isn't always enough!  In just a few days of browsing and playing around,
I have run out of memory several times.  Usually, it says something like
"There isn't enough memory to use the paint tools."  One time, it got so
thoroughly out of memory, it just put up a warning box and returned to
Finder when I clicked OK.  I'm upgrading to 2 Mb, in hopes that will be
enough (what with MultiFinder on its way).
   Ed Anson,    Calcomp Display Products Division,    Hudson NH 03051
   (603) 885-8712,      anson@elrond.CalComp.COM

beloin@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Beloin) (08/31/87)

In article <1196@elrond.CalComp.COM> anson@elrond.UUCP (Ed Anson) writes:

>Apple suggests 1 Mb with HyperCard, and with good reason.  It turns out that
>1 Mb isn't always enough!  In just a few days of browsing and playing around,
>I have run out of memory several times.  Usually, it says something like
>"There isn't enough memory to use the paint tools."  One time, it got so
>thoroughly out of memory, it just put up a warning box and returned to

hmmm.. I've been working with HyperCard quite a bit without memory
problems. The Handbook to HyperCard suggsts that it can be run in
a 700K switcher partition. Are you sure something else isn't sharing
memory with it?
BTW, I got the Handbook from Computerware. It's targeted at a broad
audience, and spends a lot of time on the basics. Of course, HyperCard
itself was meant to appeal to non-programmers (as well as programmmers)
and provide an excellent introduction to object-oriented programming
(or so it seems to me).
 Ron Beloin, Ecosystems Research Center, Corson Hall, Cornell, Ithaca,NY 14853

fenwick@garth.UUCP (09/01/87)

In article <1196@elrond.CalComp.COM> anson@elrond.UUCP (Ed Anson) writes:
>Apple suggests 1 Mb with HyperCard, and with good reason.  It turns out that
>1 Mb isn't always enough!  In just a few days of browsing and playing around,
>I have run out of memory several times.  Usually, it says something like
>"There isn't enough memory to use the paint tools."  One time, it got so
>thoroughly out of memory, it just put up a warning box and returned to
>Finder when I clicked OK.  I'm upgrading to 2 Mb, in hopes that will be
>enough (what with MultiFinder on its way).

What third-party memory upgrades exist for the Mac II, do they violate your
warranty, and how much do they cost?

Thanks in advance,
Steve Fenwick
--
I refuse to put a witty saying, disclaimer, or other byte-wasting message here.