[comp.sys.mac] UniDisk 3.5

rre@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Velveteen Rabbit Corps) (08/26/87)

Hi.

I recently got a UniDisk 3.5 and may have the chance to get a new
Mac really cheap (Mac+/SE) with good software bundled in with the price.
Can I use my UniDisk 3.5 (possibly with modifications???) with a Mac Plus?

(And can the Mac II only have one 3.5 inch drive, or can it use more?
My school is selling Mac IIs for $2700 without any hard disk...)

Thanks,
Roger Espinosa

--
		Roger R. Espinosa
		Live from the Rabbit Ranch

whitney@think.COM (David Whitney) (08/27/87)

In article <3716@ihlpg.ATT.COM> rre@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Velveteen Rabbit Corps) writes:

>Hi.
>
>I recently got a UniDisk 3.5 and may have the chance to get a new
>Mac really cheap (Mac+/SE) with good software bundled in with the price.
>Can I use my UniDisk 3.5 (possibly with modifications???) with a Mac Plus?

NOTE: This is for the UniDisk 3.5 - a white 800k drive that works on //c's,
//GSs, and //e's with a card. THIS PROCEDURE WILL MOST DEFINATELY VOID ANY
WARRANTY YOU CAN IMAGINE. I take no responsibility, hear?

The surgery required isn't too hard, but if you're queazy about pulling plugs
out of gutted drives, well...

You have to take off the cover and just about every screw you can see needs
to be taken out. The main cable coming out of the drive is plugged into a
board which is subsequently plugged into another board. Unless you have things
pretty well dissassembled, none of this is visible. Anyway, pull out both plugs
and plug the main cable into the plug that it wasn't originally plugged into.
Re-assemble everything and you'll be all set. This procedure was stated less
clearly in a recent MacUser. I know it works, I've done it myself and all
is well.

>(And can the Mac II only have one 3.5 inch drive, or can it use more?
>My school is selling Mac IIs for $2700 without any hard disk...)

It can take at least two, perhaps more.

David Whitney, MIT '90                     Still learning about my Apple //GS
{the known universe}!ihnp4!think!whitney   and all of its secrets. Any and all
whitney@think.com                          technical info appreciated.
DISCLAIMER: You didn't actually believe all that, did you?

sysop@stech.UUCP (Jan Harrington) (09/02/87)

> I recently got a UniDisk 3.5 and may have the chance to get a new
> Mac really cheap (Mac+/SE) with good software bundled in with the price.
> Can I use my UniDisk 3.5 (possibly with modifications???) with a Mac Plus?

You can use your UniDisk if you do a wee bit of surgery.  The UniDisk has
a disk controller in it which the Mac doesn't use.  You need to disconnect
it by snipping a wire.  Ask your dealer to show you exactly which one it is
(sales people probably won't know, but service people should ...).  This
is assuming that your UniDisk is one for the II+ or IIe.  The IIg UniDisk
will work without modification.

Jan Harrington, sysop
Scholastech Telecommunications
{seismo, ihnp4}!husc6!amcad!stech!sysop