[comp.sys.mac] TN0145.WRT, debugger FKEY

earleh@dartvax.UUCP (08/30/87)

>It is often more convenient  to  enter  the  debugger  using  the
>keyboard  rather  than  having  to  reach  around  to  press  the
>interrupt switch.  This technical note shows how to make a simple
>FKEY that will trap to the debugger.

What followed was a BINHEX of a MACWRITE file, containing example source
for MPW ASSEMBLER, LINKER, and RMAKER, showing how to make said FKEY.
Then, I assume, you would install it in your system file using ResEdit.
The entire posting was about 7 kilobytes.  I am not about to say that this
posting is "ohyyfuvg!", but I can achieve the same effect as follows:

Open ResEdit.
Open the system file.
Create a new FKEY, type "A9FF4E75" in the edit window.
Close the FKEY, do a "Get Info" on it.
Change the ID number to one of [0-9].
Close the system file, saving it.

The debugger FKEY is ready to use, now.  The TechNote example is rather
like driving in a thumb tack with an eight pound sledgehammer, when your
thumb will do the job nicely, thank you.  I wish Apple would distribute
these things in TEXT format, so we can preview them.

Perhaps next we will see an "ExitToShell" FKEY written in object Pascal?

*Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *

brian@ut-sally.UUCP (09/01/87)

In article <6969@dartvax.UUCP>, earleh@dartvax.UUCP (Earle R. Horton) writes:
> I wish Apple would distribute
> these things [ the tech notes ] in TEXT format, so we can preview them.

> *Earle R. Horton, H.B. 8000, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH 03755   *

     I disagree.  If you mean the TN's should be posted only in TEXT format, I
disagree because we'd lose all the diagrams in the translation.  If you mean
the TN's should be posted in both formats (a la alt.recipes (or whatever it's
called)), I think that's a tremendous waste of net resources.  (That doesn't
necessarily mean I think alt.recipes is a waste.)
     I suspect that most people, if they download any tech notes, download all
the tech notes, no matter what they cover.  Being able to preview the content
doesn't gain much, in my view.  (Apple doesn't put out lame tech notes like
this very often.)  I use the TN's as a resource much like Inside Mac.  I print
them all out because someday I may need the information on one I don't have.
It's kind of like what a friend of mine said about the Journal of the ACM;
when I showed him an issue which included an article titled "Partitioning a
Polygonal Region into Trapezoids", he said "Well, you never know when you're
going to need to know how to partition a polygonal region into trapezoids, and
when you do, you'll have it."

Brian H. Powell

bytebug@felix.UUCP (Roger L. Long) (09/03/87)

In article <6969@dartvax.UUCP> earleh@dartvax.UUCP (Earle R. Horton) writes:
|					   I wish Apple would distribute
|these things in TEXT format, so we can preview them.

That's the whole idea behind my including the abstract (on those tech
notes that include an abstact) in TEXT format: so you have at least a
little information with which to decide if you want to download the
file.

In article <8889@ut-sally.UUCP> brian@ut-sally.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) writes:
|     ut-sally didn't get the Macintosh Technical Note Index for the recently
|posted (in August) July Tech Notes.  Can somebody send me the binhex file?
|
|     (This happened last time also.  Someone from Apple said they'd send in
|the Tech Notes to macintosh@felix and include all the files.  I guess Apple
|didn't post them this time.)

Yes, if I had it, I'd post it.  Unfortunately I lost contact with the
gentleman at Apple who volunteered to directly post the tech notes, so
I could only post what I could get.

In article <8897@ut-sally.UUCP> brian@ut-sally.UUCP (Brian H. Powell) writes:
|     I just noticed that we're also missing tech note 123 from the July
|87 tech notes that were recently posted to comp.binaries.mac.  We did get two
|identical copies of tn126, though.  This is a revised tech note concerning
|bugs in the LaserWriter roms.

A few other people have mentioned this, so it seems a goof I made and thought
I'd fixed actually made it out to some portion of the net.  I'll repost TN123
shortly.
--
	Roger L. Long
	FileNet Corp