[comp.sys.mac] Screen saver for a Mac II

dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dave Platt) (09/02/87)

While installing PD/shareware stuff on a friend's new Mac II last
night (see my previous posting for information about games that run on
the II) I tried most of my collection of screen-savers to see which,
if any, would work.  Most don't;  one does.

The Mac II in question has 1 meg of memory, the Apple video card
(4-bit pixels), and an Apple monochrome monitor;  the control panel
was set in the black-and-white, 16-shade setting.

AutoBlack		Didn't try; uses alternate screen buffer and
			almost certainly won't work.

Fade to Black		BOOM!

ScreenSave		Put up the menu, but the screen didn't blank
			after two minutes of disuse as I requested.
			May be disfunctional, or may be stepping on
			memory?

ZoomIdle		Blanks out (and runs string art in) a window
			in the upper-left corner of the Mac II screen.
			Guess how big the blanked window is!

New Idle		Works like a charm!  Blacks out entire screen,
			flashes a moving trash-can, and restores the
			screen properly when the mouse is clicked.
			[Requires that applications understand and
			correctly process the "Hey, your window has
			just been uncovered;  refresh it!" event].

I don't recall whether New Idle chews up CPU while the screen is being
blanked, or whether it moves the trashcan around via a VBL task of
some sort (as AutoBlack does).  If the latter, then it should be
possible for tasks such as spreadsheet recalculations, long downloads,
and so forth to run while the screen is being blacked out;  if the
former, then New Idle is useful only when the Mac is really not being
used.

New Idle must be invoked manually from the apple menu whenever you
wish to blank the screen;  it does not automatically blank out the
screen after N minutes of screen inactivity.

HEY APPLE: How about building a screen-blanking capability into
MultiFinder, akin to the one in New Idle but which automatically
blanks the screen after several minutes of no-user-generated-events?

barad@othello.usc.edu (Herb Barad) (09/03/87)

In article <16292@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dave Platt) writes:
>While installing PD/shareware stuff on a friend's new Mac II last
>night (see my previous posting for information about games that run on
>the II) I tried most of my collection of screen-savers to see which,
>if any, would work.  Most don't;  one does.

Autoblack will not work on a Mac II.  I don't have a Mac II, but I
know someone who has tried it.  I just bought Suitcase yesterday and a
freebee came with it called "Pyro" - it is a screensaver that (at
least as advertised) works with any Mac (with system 3.2 or greater)
and any screen.  In fact, it should work in color on a color monitor.
Pyro puts on a little fileworks display when the machine has been idle
for a specified period of time.  Kinda nice.  Pyro can even be
adjusted as it shows up in the Control Panel.

One drawback, Pyro DOES suspend the current program.  Background tasks
keep going (print spoolers, Appletalk, etc.), but foreground tasks are
suspended.  This is not quite as nice as Autoblack, but both are
invoked automatically.  I still prefer Autoblack, but Pyro is would
win where Autoblack doesn't work.

Herb Barad	[USC - Signal and Image Processing Institute]
email:	barad@brand.usc.edu	or
	...!sdcrdcf!oberon!brand!barad