[comp.sys.mac] dialing # and * in HyperCard

norman@sdics.ucsd.EDU (Donald A. Norman) (09/04/87)

Sorry folks, but I can't get the dial command in HyperCard to dial #
or *.  Yup, I went into the telephone stack and edited the magical
filtering lines to include * and #, but still no luck.

Note: I am using the speaker, not a modem.  But, by the way, why/how
does the dial command pass items througuy a routine in the telephone
stack?  I am calling it from a diferent stack.

For the record: I am using HyperCard as a rapid prototyping tool.  In
this case, I am testing a possible telephone design to replace the
existing montrosity at UCSD (An Ericsson telephone that is
impossible to fathom).  For this purpose, HyperCard looks ideal: it
should be a winner in the classroom.  (But wait til it gets used for
homework assignments.)

Anyone know how to purchase the device that hooks up the telephone to
the Mac speaker?

don norman

Donald A. Norman
Institute for Cognitive Science C-015
University of California, San Diego
La Jolla, California 92093
norman@nprdc.arpa    	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!ics!norman
norman@sdics.ucsd.edu	norman%sdics.ucsd.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) (09/05/87)

In article <393@sdics.ucsd.EDU> norman@sdics.UUCP (Donald A. Norman) writes:

>Anyone know how to purchase the device that hooks up the telephone to
>the Mac speaker?

A company by the name of Data Desk of Seatle sells a device called the "Hyper
Dialer" for somewhere around $30.  This is the same little interface box that
bordland sells with their Sidekick DA - MacDialer.  It hooks up to your phone.

Data Desk - 818 780-1673 (Robert Solomon)

As a side note, one of the reasons the release version of Hypercard is 1.01 is
because there were some technical problems with the way they were doing dailing
that would not work properly with certain phone switching systems. Mr. Solomon
I believe is the one who discovered this problem with Hypercard.

Tony Jacobs
Center for Engineering Design
University of Utah