[comp.sys.mac] wanted: Ada system for Mac

terry@moogvax.UUCP (Terry Westley) (06/16/87)

Is there an Ada compiler system available for the Mac, specifically the SE?

Even if it is currently under development, I'd like to know.

I am also interested if you know of an Object Oriented Development
system for the Mac.
--
  Terry Westley
  Moog, Inc. (no, not the synthesizer company)

terry@moogvax.UUCP (Terry Westley) (09/07/87)

Some time ago, I asked the question:

>Is there an Ada compiler system available for the Mac, specifically the SE?
>
>I am also interested if you know of an Object Oriented Development
>system for the Mac.

In summary, the answer is NO.  However, there are some unsubstantiated
rumors that Alsys or Borland may be working on such.

Here are the pertinent responses I received:

Date: 17 Jun 1987 08:33-EDT
From: sunybcs!boulder!husc6.harvard.edu!sei.cmu.edu!Clifford.Huff
To: husc6!hao!boulder!sunybcs!moogvax!terry  (Terry Westley)
Subject: Re: wanted: Ada system for Mac

Here are a couple of items relating to Mac II and Ada taken from
INFOMAC V5 #103 that may find of interest.

As far as an Object Orient Development system for the Mac, you should
investigate MacApp from Apple Computer.  MacApp provides a skeleton
Macintosh application in an Object Oriented fashion.

MacApp 1.0 is currently available through the Apple Programmer's and
Developer's Association, 290 SW 43rd Street, Renton, WA 98055.  APDA is
a one-stop shopping source of useful tools from Apple and other companies
for people developing software for Apple computers.  Their phone number is
206-251-6548

Another good resource if you're interested in MacApp is the MacApp
Developer's Association, PO Box 23, Everett, WA 98206-0023.

   ____    ______   _____      _____=====        Cliff Huff
  / __ \  | _____| |_   _|   _____=========	 cch@sei.cmu.edu
 _\___ \  |  __|     | | _____=================  Carnegie-Mellon Univ.
 | |__| | | |____   _| |_  _____=============	 Pittsburgh, PA 15213
  \____/  |______| |_____|   _____=========	 (412) 268-7605
			       -----=====
  C a r n e g i e - M e l l o n  U n i v e r s i t y

---------

> Is there an Ada compiler for the Macintosh II?

Alsys corp of France signed a contract with Apple Computer about a
month ago to produce its validated Ada on a card for the Macintosh II.
Info can be obtained from Mr. Robert Dawson, Apple's USAF Military
marketing manager in Reston, Virginia.

------------------------------

Date: 15 Jun 1987 02:03:07 PDT
Subject: Ada and the Macintosh
From: Edward V. Berard <EBERARD@ADA20.ISI.EDU>

Currently, there are a number of vendors who are developing Ada-related
products for the Apple Macintosh series of machines. These products include
compilers (for the Plus, SE, and the II) and software development tools.
[Those of you who think that "Ada is too big for the Mac," might be
surprised to learn that the third Ada compiler to be validated (Western
Digital/Gensoft, validated in August of 1983) required only 128K of memory
-- all the machine had.]

Apple itself is taking some steps towards an "Ada strategy." (See, e.g.,
Computer Systems News, June 1, 1987 issue.)

Our company, EVB Software Engineering, Inc., is developing a product called
"Ada MacHost." Ada MacHost is a software product which allows a software
engineer to create Ada applications on a host machine (e.g., a DEC VAX)
which can interact with the Macintosh environment. Ada MacHost appears to
the software engineer as a set of Ada packages.  These packages allow the
user to create and manipulate all the items in the Macintosh environment.
For example, from within an Ada application running on the VAX, the
software engineer can create a dialog window, display the dialog window on
the Mac, and respond to any interactions the user might have with that
dialog window (e.g., "pushing a radio button," or entering text).

Initially, Ada MacHost will be configured for the DEC VAX under VMS.
However, Ada MacHost will be ported to a number of other host systems,
based on demand. The first deliveries of Ada MAcHost are scheduled for the
fourth quarter of 1987.

If you want more information, or you wish to be considered for a beta test
site, please contact Roberta Visaggio at EVB.

   Ed Berard
   EVB Software Engineering, Inc.
   5320 Spectrum Drive
   Frederick, MD 21701
   (301) 695 - 6960
   ARPA: EBerard@Ada20.isi.edu

(r) Ada is a registered trademark of the U.S. government (AJPO)

P.S.: EVB Will be demonstrating Ada MacHost at AFCEA, June 16-18, in
Washington, D.C. See us at the Apple booth.

Date:     Wed, 17 Jun 87 14:02:27 MST
From: Major John Buono aka IBM <sunybcs!boulder!husc6.harvard.edu!HUACHUCA-EM.ARPA!asbf-tds.huachuca-em.arpa!buono>

>I am also interested if you know of an Object Oriented Development
>system for the Mac.
>--
TML pascal supports Object Oriented Development however the best that
I know of is MPW for the MAC.  The MPW Pascal + MAC APP is true object
oriented development (MAC APP) is a library of objects used in development
of MAC Application.  All is available from APDA (if you don't belong
you really should.  I hope this helps at least on part of your message.

Regarding the Ada.  I have heard rumors on Ada for the MAC II but
I really doubt if they will be able to support the SE because of the
4 Meg requirement, at least not soon.

John Buono
buono%absf-tds@huachuca-em.arpa

Date: 18 Jun 1987 07:26:22 PDT
From: Grady Booch <sunybcs!boulder!husc6.harvard.edu!ADA20.ISI.EDU!GBOOCH>
To: husc6!hao!boulder!sunybcs!moogvax!terry (Terry Westley)

Re an object-oriented development system for the mac, I highly recommend
the macintosh programmer's workbench, with object pascal (pascal
plus true object oriented extentions for inheritance and polymorphism)
plus its class library, macapp.

all this costs only about $100. I've used it quite a bit to write applications
for he mac.

egb
-------

Article 3391 of comp.sys.mac:
From: peirce@lll-crg.ARpA (Michael Peirce)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac
Subject: Ada on Macs
Date: 30 Jun 87 16:57:34 GMT

I recently heard that Apple & Alsys are working on an Ada compiler
for the Mac.  Being a heavy user of Ada under VMS, I'm really interested
in finding out about it on a Mac.  Does anyone know anything about this?
Will it run under MPW?  Mac II only?  Decent performance?

-- michael

P.S. Too bad it's not LightSpeed-Ada!

Article 289 of comp.lang.ada:
Newsgroups: comp.lang.ada
Subject: RE: Object-Oriented Programming Systems for the Macintosh
Date: 17 Jun 87 16:30:00 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

Terry Westley (hao!boulder!sunybcs!moogvax!terry@husc6.harvard.edu) asks

    I am also interested if you know of an Object Oriented Development system
    for the Mac.

There are two of which I am aware.

MacApp and Object Pascal are distributed by Apple through APDA, a user group,
that with Apple's blessing, sells Apple and third party developer products.
Object Pascal is Pascal extended (with the help of Niklaus Wirth) to include
classes and whatnot.  MacApp, the expandable application, defines standard
Macintosh classes and methods.  Both MacApp and Object Pascal are used by Apple
in developing the Macintosh operating system and other products.  MacApp and
Object Pascal run in the MPW (Macintosh Programmers Workshop) environment. APDA,
290 SW 43rd St. Renton, WA 98055 (206) 251-6548

The other is Neon, a Forth-like language, designed and sold by Kiyra
(spelling?) Systems.  Sorry, no address, but most Macintosh software stores
ought to be able to sell you a system.

								-- Vladimir
------