[comp.sys.mac] Cheap Memory Upgrade

humphrey@skat.usc.edu (Steve Humphrey) (09/07/87)

In an article about Multifinder, Phil Goldman of Apple writes:

>Although MultiFinder will run in 1 Meg (or even 512k), it is twice as useful
>in 2Meg, just as Switcher would be.  Therefore, it is really worth the $200
>dollars (I'm sure a poor college student could find this kind of deal if
>he looked around a little) to double your memory.  It's unfortunate that
>memory prices are so high, but talk to Ronnie about that one.
>
>- Phil Goldman, Apple Computer

O.K.  I'm game!  Would one of you kind souls direct me to info on
upgrading my SE to 2Meg with $200.  I just MIGHT be able to talk my
wife into an expansion for THAT much!  Shoot, I'm even willing to put
it in myself!  Really, what is the cheapest upgrade I can get?

I've not really been following all the talk of SIMM upgrades since I
was under the impression that another meg was gonna be > $700.  I'll be
TOTALLY STOKED if I can upgrade for cheap!  Thanks Apple!
--
Steve Humphrey                                         USPS:    P.O. Box 1285
humphrey@skat.usc.edu (NOT castor.usc.edu anymore!)          Dixon, CA  95620

t-jacobs@utah-cs.UUCP (Tony Jacobs) (09/07/87)

In article <4347@oberon.USC.EDU> humphrey@skat.usc.edu (Steve Humphrey) writes:

>O.K.  I'm game!  Would one of you kind souls direct me to info on
>upgrading my SE to 2Meg with $200.  I just MIGHT be able to talk my
>wife into an expansion for THAT much!  Shoot, I'm even willing to put
>it in myself!  Really, what is the cheapest upgrade I can get?

The cheapest I've seen are Dove Computer Corp.  Their "Plus 2" for 1M-2M goes
for $239 (University price) the "2H" for a Plus or SE for 1M-2M goes for $539
(again University price), and the "2S" for a Plus or SE for 1M-2M for $599.

The latter two are SIMMs and are expandable to 4Meg.  The "2S" is a surface
mount versus the regular 1Meg CMOS chips.

Note: the University discount if 40%, so the rest of you folks can figure out
the retail price.