[comp.sys.mac] Games on a Mac II?

cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu.UUCP (09/02/87)

Well, my Mac II finally arrived, and I'm all set with the basic things
like a word processor, a spreadsheet, etc.  Finding such software that
works on a Mac II wasn't hard.  It would also be nice to have a game
or two to relax with.  Unfortunately, it appears that people who write
games for the Mac don't bother reading the Tech Notes.  I called up a
couple places and found out that (for example) Chessmaster 2000 and
Sub Battle Simulator don't work on a Mac II.

So, does anybody know of any games that DO work on a Mac II?

Charlie Allen		cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu
			..pur-ee!newton!cca

dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Dave Platt) (09/02/87)

Funny you should ask.  I spent several hours last night installing
about 5 megs of public-domain and shareware stuff from my diskette
library onto a co-worker's brand-new Mac II.  Naturally, we tried out
the games.

Results to date: about half of the games I tried bomb on launch, bomb
when displaying the first game screen, or display sludge on the
screen.  I imagine that games in this class are trying to manipulate
the screen buffer directly, and/or are trying to use the alternate
screen buffer (which just ain't there in a II).  Most of the rest run
OK, but use only the upper-left portion of the screen.  These games are
apparently using QuickDraw in the approved way, but have hard-coded
window sizes/offsets.  A very few (one!) uses the whole screen.

Here's the summary to date:

Game				Status

Ashes to Ashes			Partial screen
Asteroids			Bombs
Banzai				Gibberish
Bomber				Partial screen
Brickles, version 4		Partial screen, very fast
Crystal Raider			Bombs
Daleks				Bombs
Dungeons of Doom		Bombs
MacBugs!			Partial screen
MacHeads			Partial screen (I think)
Megaroids			Bombs
Missile Command			Full screen
Orion v1.0			Gibberish
Social Climber			Partial screen
Solitaire			Partial screen
Space Bubbles			Gibberish
Space War			Bombs
The Adventures of Snake		Bombs
ThinkAhead+			don't remember
Wheel				Partial screen
Wizard's Fire			Partial screen

My hat's off to those game designers who followed the rules re
Quickdraw, didn't hard-code timing loops, and still managed to produce
snappy-looking animation... their games run well on a II, even if they
don't use the whole screen.

[Most of the games on this list should be available via your local
 public-domain-software trading group, Mac-oriented bulletin board, or
 information-services network (GEnie, Compu$erve, Delphi, The Source)]

rmh@apple.UUCP (Rick Holzgrafe) (09/05/87)

In article <808@newton.physics.purdue.edu> cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) writes:
>So, does anybody know of any games that DO work on a Mac II?

I know of several games that work on a Mac II. All are either shareware
or freeware; I don't spend big bucks on games so I can't tell you about
any commercial ones. The following seem to work just fine:

	1000 Miles, by Robert Harris (shareware $10)
	Solitaire, by Ron Aldrich (free)
	MacHeads, by Michael Yourshaw (free, but he likes postcards)
	Scarab of RA, by Rick Holzgrafe (shareware $10)

Rather than try to slip something by you :-), I'll confess that I wrote
"Scarab of RA". (I hope no-one minds a mildly commercial bent to this
attempt to help out a fellow gamer!)  Scarab and the other games are
available from the usual shareware and public sources, and I think they've
all come across the net in the last year or so; check your local archive.
(Don't write to me for copies of anything; that's why Scarab is shareware!)

A message went by on the net a while back, from someone whose name I've
forgotten. He said Scarab got CoPr errors on a Mac II. I'd like to hear
the details of that, because although I haven't rigorously tested it on
the Mac II it seems to work fine on mine.  I recommend you invoke the
shareware purchaser's privilege, and try it for a while before sending
money. If it bombs, I'd appreciate a note describing the circumstances.

Because of where I work, I must be extra careful about this disclaimer:
"Scarab of RA" and Apple Computer have *nothing* to do with each other.
I have no relationship with the other authors mentioned above, except
as a happy user of their games.

Rick Holzgrafe			 | {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Apple Computer, Inc.		 | "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 27-Y	 | not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014		 | employer, Apple Computer Inc."

drc@dbase.UUCP (09/07/87)

In article <808@newton.physics.purdue.edu>, cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) writes:
> Well, my Mac II finally arrived, and I'm all set with the basic things
> like a word processor, a spreadsheet, etc.  Finding such software that
> works on a Mac II wasn't hard.  It would also be nice to have a game
> or two to relax with.  Unfortunately, it appears that people who write
> games for the Mac don't bother reading the Tech Notes.  I called up a
> couple places and found out that (for example) Chessmaster 2000 and
> Sub Battle Simulator don't work on a Mac II.
>
> So, does anybody know of any games that DO work on a Mac II?
The "doesn't run on a Mac II" can result from any of a number of things, some
of which YOU can do something about.

If it was due to alternate screen buffer, you might as well forget it.

If it was due to self-modifying code nastiness like MacWrite, turn off the
instruction cache.  This is true of many of the programs written with earlier
versions of LSC, LSP, Turbo, MegaMax, etc.  MegaMax was also infamous for their
use of low memory global $2b6 (BasicGlob) which rendered ALL of their programs
unrunnable under System 4.1.  This can usually be patched by changing $02B6 to
$0A78 in the code resources.

If it was due to the copy protection, my personal philosophy is that if you buy
copy-protected software then you're asking for trouble anyway.

Dennis Cohen
Ashton-Tate Glendale Development Center
dBASE Mac Development Team
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed above are my own, I don't know what (if any)
opinions my employer has.

PS: Yes, we shipped a week ago.