[net.music] the cutting edge of rock music

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (10/02/85)

Sorry for posting this to the net, but I tried to mail it several times with
(apparently) no success.

> OK people of net land, I have a question for you. Who do you feel is on the
> cutting edge of todays rock. In the past, it has been Pink Floyd, The Stones,
> Led Zeppelin,etc.... Who is it today. Could it be Madonna? If not, then who
> is it? You tell me. Mail me and tell me who you feel is on the cutting
> edge of todays rock. I will post a list of the top 10 groups/singers who
> you feel are on top.

    OK, you asked for it:

SHOCKABILLY

    Unfortunatly, they have broken up. However, they do have one last album
    coming out within the month--HEAVEN. The best album to check out is
    VIETNAM (Fundamental Records).

THE RESIDENTS

    If you have heard them, then you either know what I mean, or you violently
    disagree with me, even to the point of violence. If you've never heard them,
    then there's no way words can even begin to describe them.

SKELETON CREW

    Fred Frith and Tom Cora are in it. What more need I say.

STEVE TIBBETTS

    Creates an amazing symbiosis of rock, jazz, folk, electro-jiggery-pokery,
    and classical. He is entirely unclassifiable (though he has been classified
    as rock) and truly outstanding. (I'm basing this opinion on his first two
    albums <STEVE TIBBETTS and YR>. I understand that his third album <NORTHERN
    SONGS> is closer to jazz than anything else.)

    That's all I can think of at the moment. When I come up with some more,
    I'll zap you a line.

    Sorry I took so long to respond.

					    Barth Richards
					    Tellabs, Inc.
					    Lisle, IL

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/07/85)

> From: Barth Richards

>    OK, you asked for it:

> SHOCKABILLY...
> THE RESIDENTS...
> SKELETON CREW...
> STEVE TIBBETTS

>     That's all I can think of at the moment. When I come up with some more,
>     I'll zap you a line.

Good list!  But that's all you could think of!?!?  There are zillions of
others: Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Art Bears, Birsongs of The Mesozoic,
Eric Lindgren, Roger Miller, Mission of Bhurma, Tuxedomoon, Laurie
Anderson,  Bill Nelson, Nina Hagen, Nash The Slash, The Swans, Coil,
Yellow Magic Orchestra, Brian Eno, Captain Beefheart (Oops, forgot to
mention him when talking about great lyrics!),....

				And the list goes on,

				Doug Alan
				 nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

P.S.  Does Skeleton Crew have an album out?

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (10/09/85)

In article <25@mit-eddie.UUCP> nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) writes:
>> From: Barth Richards
>
>>    OK, you asked for it:
>
>> SHOCKABILLY...
>> THE RESIDENTS...
>> SKELETON CREW...
>> STEVE TIBBETTS
>
>>     That's all I can think of at the moment. When I come up with some more,
>>     I'll zap you a line.
>
>Good list!  But that's all you could think of!?!?  There are zillions of
>others: Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Art Bears, Birsongs of The Mesozoic,
>Eric Lindgren, Roger Miller, Mission of Bhurma, Tuxedomoon, Laurie
>Anderson,  Bill Nelson, Nina Hagen, Nash The Slash, The Swans, Coil,
>Yellow Magic Orchestra, Brian Eno, Captain Beefheart (Oops, forgot to
>mention him when talking about great lyrics!),....

I could have listed many more artists that I happen to like (some of which you
just mentioned) but I tried to think of artists that were undisputable "out on
the edge". Peter Gabriel is excellent but largely accessible (although being
experimental and accessible at the same time may be qualification for the list
in itself!) others have done what the Art Bears did, both before and after.
(After all, the Art Bears was largely a continuation of Henry Cow.) Mission
of Bhurma was excellent (they have broken up, haven't they?), but didn't
necissarily cut any new trails. (Well, maybe a few.) Nash The Slash is
definately avant-garde, but maybe not on the absolute cutting edge. (My
favorite song of his is "Vincent's Crows" from AND YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE NORMAL,
any other opinions out there?)

>P.S.  Does Skeleton Crew have an album out?

Yep. It's called LEARN TO TALK. There should be another one out soon.

				   Barth Richards
				   Tellabs, Inc.
				   Lisle, IL

				   "If God's up there, we're his excrement."
				   -Ron Geesin

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/13/85)

> From: barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards)

> I could have listed many more artists that I happen to like (some of
> which you just mentioned) but I tried to think of artists that were
> undisputable "out on the edge".

Well, there are lots of people who I like too, who I don't necessarily
think are on the cutting edge.  But I don't think you have to be flipped
out avante-guarde to be on the cutting edge.  In fact, I feel a lot of
"avante-guarde" music isn't on the cutting edge, just because it falls
*so* neatly into the class "avant-guarde".

> Peter Gabriel is excellent but largely accessible (although being
> experimental and accessible at the same time may be qualification for
> the list in itself!)

People like Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush, I feel are definitely on the
cutting edge.  (In fact, the most important cutting edge.)  They may not
always fall neatly into the class "avante-guarde", but they are
definitely powerful innovators, and are cutting new paths in music
rather than just perfecting old ones.  They may tend to use a lot of
knowledge that already exists about music, rather than just throwing
away the book, like a lot of avant-guarde musicians do, but that's
probably an even better approach.  It means I can relate to it (because
how music is perceived is largely a cultural phenomenon), rather than
just saying, "Hmmmm, that's interesting".  Distortion of what you
already know is much more powerful emotionally than things totally new.
Just ask any surrealist.

> others have done what the Art Bears did, both before and after.(After
> all, the Art Bears was largely a continuation of Henry Cow.)

Who?  The Art Bears don't sound like Henry Cow to me (even though they
have a couple of the same people).

> Mission of Bhurma was excellent (they have broken up, haven't they?),
> but didn't necissarily cut any new trails.

Yes they did.  Yes they did.

> (Well, maybe a few.) Nash The Slash is definately avant-garde, but
> maybe not on the absolute cutting edge.

Well, what's the "absolute" cutting edge?  And is that the best place to
be?  I feel that even Roy Harper is subtlely on the cutting edge, and he
does something you might call "folk rock", but he's always doing stuff
that's very different from others.

			"And if you're coming -- jump
			 'coz we're leaving with the Big Sky"

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (10/17/85)

In article <75@mit-eddie.UUCP> nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) writes:

>> others have done what the Art Bears did, both before and after.(After
>> all, the Art Bears was largely a continuation of Henry Cow.)
>
>Who?  The Art Bears don't sound like Henry Cow to me (even though they
>have a couple of the same people).

Actually, the Art Bears album HOPES AND FEARS was the last Henry Cow album,
but the members decided to table it temporarily. Most of the members of Henry
Cow then recorded WINTER SONGS under the name The Art Bears. After WINTER SONGS
was released, they decided to release HOPES AND FEARS as an Art Bears album.

So, there definately is a strong link between the two bands, though I realize
that saying that they were exactly the same is certianly incorrect. I simply
was drawing a comparison between the two.

				     Barth Richards
				     Tellabs, Inc.
				     Lisle, IL

				     "Our time has come, age of the hammerheads
				      This is our mission, to be the DALEKS
				      of God"
                                     -Shriekback, "Hammerheads"
				      from the album OIL AND GOLD