[comp.sys.mac] Software Search

root@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (root) (09/09/87)

I am looking for the following Macintosh software:
From: kerpelma@othello.steinmetz (dan kerpelman)

-  MatLab
-  Word 3
-  LaTeX
-  any mathematic equation software w/ interface to Draw, Write, etc.
-  any PostScript edit/translation/print software
-  any AppleTalk to ethernet interface software (and hardware)

I'd appreciate e-mail with pointers to either vendors or the location of
public domain software in these categories and will post a summary of the

Dan Kerpelman                      ARPA:  kerpelman@ge-crd.arpa
GE Corporate R&D                   UUCP:  kerpelma@othello.steinmetz.ge.com
Schenectady, NY               GE DECnet:  ctsvax::kerpelman
USA                                 tel:  (518) 387-5086

crd@beta.UUCP (Carl R Daudt) (09/10/87)

In article <7274@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, root@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP (root) writes:
> I am looking for the following Macintosh software:
> From: kerpelma@othello.steinmetz (dan kerpelman)
>
> -  MatLab
> -  Word 3
> -  LaTeX
> -  any mathematic equation software w/ interface to Draw, Write, etc.
> -  any PostScript edit/translation/print software
> -  any AppleTalk to ethernet interface software (and hardware)

Just a warning about interfacing an equation-making desk accessory
with a drawing program.  My own use of the Mac has been largely for that
purpose, and I have found that many desk accessories and applications
do not interface with CRICKET DRAW--including the desk accessory Mac Eqn.
Cricket Draw does strange things with stuff that comes from the
clipboard, for example, it does not paste most of the standard graphics
included with the default scrapbook.  It does not paste items from
Mac3D.  It copies, but mangles text from MS Word 3.  Hopefully their
next release will correct these problems.

I highly recommend that you verify that whatever drawing, equation-
making and word processing programs you decide to purchase are compatible
before spending the $$.