[comp.sys.mac] Replacing system fonts

theodore@violet.berkeley.edu (Theodore W. Gray) (09/10/87)

Is it possible to replace the standard system fonts (i.e. Chicago 12 and
Geneva 9) with different (much larger) fonts?  I tried playing with ResEdit
and F/DA mover, but nothing seemed to work.  Are these fonts actually in
ROM now?  If so, is it still possible to somehow install a new font to
replace what's in ROM?
                                                  thanx,
                                                       theo

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric Olson) (09/10/87)

In article <5046@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> theodore@violet.berkeley.edu (Theodore W. Gray) writes:

>Is it possible to replace the standard system fonts (i.e. Chicago 12 and
>Geneva 9) with different (much larger) fonts?  I tried playing with ResEdit
>and F/DA mover, but nothing seemed to work.  Are these fonts actually in
>ROM now?  If so, is it still possible to somehow install a new font to
>replace what's in ROM?
>                                                  thanx,
>                                                       theo

Yes, they're in ROM.  To stomp any ROM resource, you have to open up the
ROv# (ROM Overlay list) resource with the ID for your machine (same as the
ID's for PTCH resources: 117=Mac+, 630=SE, 376=Mac II [There are no resources
in the 64K ROM, thus, no ROv# ID=105]).  There you play the Type and ID of
the resource you want to read from the System File instead of ROM.

-Eric

Eric K. Olson		olson@endor.harvard.edu		harvard!endor!olson

abr@mit-amt.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Adam B Rosen) (09/11/87)

In article <5046@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> theodore@violet.berkeley.edu (Theodore W. Gray) writes:

>Is it possible to replace the standard system fonts (i.e. Chicago 12 and
>Geneva 9) with different (much larger) fonts?  I tried playing with ResEdit
>and F/DA mover, but nothing seemed to work.  Are these fonts actually in
>ROM now?  If so, is it still possible to somehow install a new font to
>replace what's in ROM?
>                                                  thanx,
>                                                       theo

I have a Public Domain program called Layout which does a bit of what you want.
It's purpose is to change the default font which Finder uses to whatever font
and point size you wish (of those installed in the System file, of course).
Along with doing this it also allows you to change the default spacing for Icon
and Small Icon views (horizontally and vertically), change the spacing and
format for text views, change the size and location of a new window, etc..
Very useful program; I'm currently using Monaco 9pt instead of Geneva, since
I find it easier to read.  Using too big a font causes problems with lack of
space on the screen.  As it is if you change the attributes of your Finder, you
must re-clean-up all your windows so as to get the spacing correct.  Layout
will allow you to revert to the normal Finder settings at any time.

This won't change the Chicago font, nor will it help in programs which use
Chicago or Geneva, but it does help on the desktop.  Let me know if you're
interested and I'll give you more info.

Adam B. Rosen