[comp.sys.mac] Mac II is acting flakey! Ideas?

mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) (09/10/87)

   After 5-6 hours of consecutive work last night with my Mac II (with no
problems after 2.5 months) I ran into problems booting this morning. The
first time I powered on I did NOT get the Boot Chime and none of the usual
procedure occurred. The screen was lit but nothing happened, neither
the interrupt button nor the reset button (!) nor the 'power' button in
the very back had any effect. Only by using my power strip was I able to
try again. After a couple of power cycling attempts the system booted normally
and seemed to behave ok. I tried a couple more times and it seemed flakey,
including one time where it got pretty far in the boot process and then
a 'click' came from the speaker and then it hung. I have seen problems
with bootup when SCSI devices which were not on at bootup but only my
internal hard drive was connected at boot time and even one of the times
when it was read properly, the system hung. Obviously it looks like a hardware
problem and I'm taking it in for (warrenty) repairs but I thought I'd post
to get feedback and other people's experience.
David Gelphman   daveg%slacvm.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu

mday@cgl.ucsf.edu (Mark Day) (09/10/87)

In article <2005@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU> mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) writes:

>   After 5-6 hours of consecutive work last night with my Mac II (with no
>problems after 2.5 months) I ran into problems booting this morning. The
>first time I powered on I did NOT get the Boot Chime and none of the usual
>procedure occurred. The screen was lit but nothing happened,
>...  Obviously it looks like a hardware
>problem and I'm taking it in for (warrenty) repairs but I thought I'd post
>to get feedback and other people's experience.

Apple sent out a service alert on 8/27 with regards to an intermittent
problem during the bootup sequence of a Mac II equipped with an internal
20SC.  I don't know if your drive is 20 meg, but if so it may need a new
drive EPROM.
Quoting from the Apple Alert:
"To locate the drive EPROM on the hard disk's PCB, look for the only
rectangular 28 pin chip.  In front of the chip (the side facing the 50 pin
connector) the location U12 is printed on the board. Once the chip has
been identified, look for the revision number on the chip's label under the
heading 'E-P'.  If the revision level is 2.6A the chip should be replaced."

The drive EPROM chip is Apple part number 927-0002.  Hope this helps those
folks out there lucky enough to have a Mac II to have problems with.

Mark
----------
		Mark Day
UUCP:		..ucbvax!ucsfcgl!mday
ARPA:		mday@cgl.ucsf.edu
BITNET:		mday@ucsfcgl.BITNET

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (09/10/87)

Actually, the Mac II beep on bootup is part of a self-test which the Mac II
does on power-ups.  Supposely, you can tell what's wrong with the machine by
the beep sound it make - the beep sound code was written to assume that even
main memory might not be there!  Does anyone know the mapping between boot
sounds and hardware errors?

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-607-253-6699,  USPS: 7122 N. Campus 7, Ithaca, NY 14853      |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

loucks@intvax.UUCP (Cliff Loucks) (09/11/87)

in article <2005@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU>, mrh@Shasta.STANFORD.EDU (Marc Hannah) says:

>    After 5-6 hours of consecutive work last night with my Mac II (with no
> problems after 2.5 months) I ran into problems booting this morning.

We just got a Mac II with a 20Mb internal disk.  It boots inconsistantly.
The dealer said something came over AppleLink concerning (I think) a rom
problem associated with the 20Mb units.  Our machine will usually boot with
power cycling; only once did it get into a state where the power switch in
the back wouldn't do anything.

--
Cliff Loucks   [gatech | ucbvax]!unmvax!sandia!intvax!loucks
Sandia National Labs, Albuquerque, New Mexico

Poor New Mexico;  So far from Heaven, and so close to Texas.