[comp.sys.mac] Suitecase and Finder 5.5

chow@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) (09/06/87)

I've been using Suitecase with System 4.1 and Finder 5.5 for about two weeks
now, and things have been working fine.  Until recently, I have had less
than 31 DAs in my DAs file.

Recently, however, I added the 32nd (or was it the 31st) DA to my "DAs" file
and I've noticed something strange:  The finder now thinks I'm running off
some sort of network.  For example, the File menu now has "Get Previledges" in
it.  Does anyone know whats going on?

Christopher Chow
/---------------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Internet:  chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (128.84.248.35 or 128.84.253.35)   |
| Usenet:    ...{uw-beaver|ihnp4|decvax|vax135}!cornell!batcomputer!chow    |
| Bitnet:    chow@crnlthry.bitnet                                           |
| Phone:     1-607-253-6699,  USPS: 7122 N. Campus 7, Ithaca, NY 14853      |
| Delphi:    chow2            PAN:  chow                                    |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------------/

mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) (09/10/87)

chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:
=
=I've been using Suitecase with System 4.1 and Finder 5.5 for about two weeks
=now, and things have been working fine.  Until recently, I have had less
=than 31 DAs in my DAs file.
=
=Recently, however, I added the 32nd (or was it the 31st) DA to my "DAs" file
=and I've noticed something strange:  The finder now thinks I'm running off
=some sort of network.  For example, the File menu now has "Get Previledges" in
=it.  Does anyone know whats going on?
=
Christopher, while I can't tell you what's going on, I can tell
you that I doubt if it's Suitcase or 31 or 32 DAs, since I've got
40 DAs with no such problems.

--
Maurice Weitman           ..!{dual,hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!mo
 | <- this is not a pipe   POBox 10019 Berkeley, CA  94709  (415)549-0280
Quote:  "I am this groping intensity that is a soul." Jorge Luis Borges
Disclaimer:  Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric Olson) (09/10/87)

In article <3924@well.UUCP> mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) writes:
>chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:
>=
>=I've been using Suitecase with System 4.1 and Finder 5.5 for about two weeks
>=now, and things have been working fine.  Until recently, I have had less
>=than 31 DAs in my DAs file.
>=
>=Recently, however, I added the 32nd (or was it the 31st) DA to my "DAs" file
>=and I've noticed something strange:  The finder now thinks I'm running off
>=some sort of network.  For example, the File menu now has "Get Previledges" in
>=it.  Does anyone know whats going on?
>=
>Christopher, while I can't tell you what's going on, I can tell
>you that I doubt if it's Suitcase or 31 or 32 DAs, since I've got
>40 DAs with no such problems.

This is just a guess:  DA's are supposed to not have their slot number hard-
coded into them (they're supposed to figure out which one they are at runtime).
Some very old DAs didn't do this, and if they're installed in a slot other
than the one they were compiled for, they fail (these DAs typically came
with their own installers).  Try removing the DAs that seem (or you remember
to be) the oldest until the problem goes away.  Then reinstall until it comes
back.  Then don't use that DA, or find a newer version.

Most DA installers (probably all) don't check for this problem.

-Eric

Eric K. Olson		olson@endor.harvard.edu		harvard!endor!olson

mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) (09/11/87)

chow@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Christopher Chow) writes:
>[...with Suitcase and 32 DAs,...]
>The finder now thinks I'm running off
>some sort of network.  For example, the File menu now has "Get Previledges" in
>it.  Does anyone know whats going on?

Christopher, I spoke with Steve Brecher today and he said there
_is_ a problem with finder, in that it has a less than
bullet-proof way of determining that AppleShare is running, and
apparantly your situation fools it.  He thinks that although it's
in the menu, no harm is done, and even if you were to select
"Get Priveledges", nothing would happen.  If you need more info,
call him or send him mail on Delphi.