[comp.sys.mac] The origins of "LISA"

rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) (08/28/87)

My understanding is that LISA stands for Locally Integrated Software
Architecture, but was really defined as such just so the group
could have a reason to keep their favorite name for the machine.

		--Rich

roger@homxb.UUCP (heavenly blessed & worldly wise) (09/02/87)

In article <4VBN0Dy00V4Iowk0-2@andrew.cmu.edu>, rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) writes:

> My understanding is that LISA stands for Locally Integrated Software
> Architecture, but was really defined as such just so the group
> could have a reason to keep their favorite name for the machine.
>
> 		--Rich

I always thought LISA was an abbreviation for

         "Let's Invent Some Acronym".

Roger Tait
..ihnp4!homxb!roger

rre@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Roger Espinosa) (09/03/87)

In article <974@homxb.UUCP>, roger@homxb.UUCP (heavenly blessed & worldly wise) writes:
> In article <4VBN0Dy00V4Iowk0-2@andrew.cmu.edu>, rs4u+@ANDREW.CMU.EDU (Richard Siegel) writes:
> >
> > My understanding is that LISA stands for Locally Integrated Software
> > Architecture, but was really defined as such just so the group
> > could have a reason to keep their favorite name for the machine.
> >
> > 		--Rich
>

> I always thought LISA was an abbreviation for
>
>          "Let's Invent Some Acronym".
>
> Roger Tait
> ..ihnp4!homxb!roger

NO! The accepted mythos is that the Lisa was named after Job's daughter,
Lisa (wow :-) You can read this all over the place; Chrysler reportedly
did not name one of their cars after someone Iaccoca knew because of this
"curse" of naming products after loved ones.

To throw the media off, and because of the craze of XT/AT/RTetc acronyms,
Apple did start writing it as LISA, for "let's invent some acronym."

(you can all read about it the A+ issue about Apple 10th year anniversary)

Roger

--
		Roger R. Espinosa
		Live from the Rabbit Ranch

kevin@violet.berkeley.edu (Kevin Baranski-Walker) (09/04/87)

No, LISA was *not* named after Job's daughter, which he doesn't have by
the way.  Edsel *was* named after the son of a Chrysler executive
though, thereby establishing the dreaded product naming cursee.

- Kevin (don't believe everything you read) Baranski-Walker

infinity@well.UUCP (sunny at Infinity Software) (09/05/87)

Anyone know where I can get hardware/info/binaries/sources for either
SCO XENIX
or
UniSoft UniPlus+
for the Apple Lisa?

Tecmar 4-port serial cards?
Priam Data Towers?
Sunol Hard Disks?
etc?
--
Infinity Software, Ltd.
1144 65th St. #C

bc@apple.UUCP (bill coderre) (09/05/87)

> No, LISA was *not* named after Job's daughter, which he doesn't have by
> the way.  Edsel *was* named after the son of a Chrysler executive
> though, thereby establishing the dreaded product naming cursee.

Pretty
amazing
for
FORD
car,
eh?

> - Kevin (don't believe everything you read) Baranski-Walker

Indeed.

Ciao.......................................................bc

lad@eplrx7.UUCP (Lawrence Dziegielewski) (09/08/87)

In article <4973@jade.BERKELEY.EDU>, kevin@violet.berkeley.edu (Kevin Baranski-Walker) writes:
> the way.  Edsel *was* named after the son of a Chrysler executive
> though, thereby establishing the dreaded product naming cursee.

Edsel Ford was the oldest son of Henry Ford,  and as far as I know,  neither
of them ever worked for Chrysler.

I know this dosen't belong here,  but that one was asking to be corrected.

--
	Lawrence A. Dziegielewski	|	E.I. Dupont Co.
	{uunet!dgis!psuvax1}!eplrx7!lad	|	Engineering Physics Lab

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (09/12/87)

kevin@violet.berkeley.edu (Kevin Baranski-Walker) writes:
< No, LISA was *not* named after Job's daughter, which he doesn't have by
< the way.  Edsel *was* named after the son of a Chrysler executive
< though, thereby establishing the dreaded product naming cursee.

Henry Ford ( the father of Edsel Ford ), was not a Chrysler eecutive.
--
Tim Smith, Knowledgian		{sdcrdcf,uunet}!ism780c!tim
				tim@ism780c.isc.com