[comp.sys.mac] Saving files in PostScript

snyder@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Scott Snyder) (09/11/87)

Hi,
    My lab just got a laserwriter, so now all those postscript postings that
I 'n'ed are going to be useful.  A couple of questions:

1   How does one direct a file to be saved in PostScript instead of being sent
    to the LaserWriter? (Something about command-f ?)
2   I know someone who is using a Troff-to-Postscript converter to generate
    Postscript files for a LaserWriter connected to our VAX.  If these files
    are sent to a Mac, can they be sent to the LaserWriter without any software
    problems. (I was thinking of using Word 3.0 to change style description to
    PostScript and then printing.)
3   How about the other way around?  Will PostScript files generated on the Mac
    (See Q#1)and  sent to the VAX cause any problems?
4   Does anyone see any potential problems with this general method of
    approach?

Any personal experiences on this topic will be useful.

                                Thanks in advance,
                                Scott  snyder@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

campoly@violet.berkeley.edu (Mr. Science) (09/12/87)

In article <2296@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> snyder@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Scott Snyder) writes:
>Hi,
>
>1   How does one direct a file to be saved in PostScript instead of being sent
>    to the LaserWriter? (Something about command-f ?)

	Hold down command-f while selecting OK from the Print Dialog Box.
	The Mac will beep when you begin to hold down command-f, ignore
	this.  This will dump a file called PostScriptn, where n is
	incremented from 0 to 9, which contains the body of a PostScript
	program for your file.  Holding down command-k will dump a
	file which also include the LaserPrep header (very long).

>2   I know someone who is using a Troff-to-Postscript converter to generate
>    Postscript files for a LaserWriter connected to our VAX.  If these files
>    are sent to a Mac, can they be sent to the LaserWriter without any software
>    problems. (I was thinking of using Word 3.0 to change style description to
>    PostScript and then printing.)

	There is a nice utility program called SendPS written by the
	people at Adobe.  It sends PostScript files to a LaserWriter
	over AppleTalk.  I have had no trouble printing PostScript
	programs written/modified with Word 3.0/3.01 using this
	program, which the info box says may be freely distributed.

>3   How about the other way around?  Will PostScript files generated on the Mac
>    (See Q#1)and  sent to the VAX cause any problems?

	You may need to do a command-k dump.  SendPS automatically prepends
	the LaserPrep header.  The VAX may or may not.

>4   Does anyone see any potential problems with this general method of
>    approach?

	People in my group are using this technique with no difficulty.
	On a VAX UNIX system, we run troff with a special option which
	creates a PostScript file.  We download this file to the Mac
	(or even an IBM PC !) and then print on a LaserWriter.

Hope this info helps.

					-- Greg