[comp.sys.mac] MPW "Miss-info"

jww@sdcsvax.UUCP (09/12/87)

In article <111STORKEL@RICE>, STORKEL@RICE.BITNET (Scott Storkel) writes:
> In his posting about MPW,  Joel West stated that MPW requires 1Mb and runs only
> on a hard disk. This is NOT the case. True, MPW requires 1Mb RAM, but it CAN be
> run from two 800k floppies. I will admit that this is far from the ideal
> situation, and that to compile programs of any size a hard disk is a must, but
> for the floppy-switch masochists the option is available.

I doubt anybody is a bigger fan of MPW than I am, nor has a
greater stake in its popularity.  However, I must disagree with
Scott's comments.

I've tried running MPW from floppies.  It can be done, but not very well.
With MPW 2.0, you have to leave 80% of the stuff supplied offline.
Also, I can't see spending several hundred dollars on MPW (unless, of
course, you stole it) and then not spending the money to do it right.

Technically speaking, you can get by without a hard disk, but the
overwhelming majority of MPW users will want to buy one if they don't
have one already.  I bought my first hard disk after screwing around
with a floppy-based MPW (1.0) for a few weeks.

I would consider it misleading to say MPW doesn't require a
hard disk--particularly for 2.0, where the draft manual notes
"MPW 2.0 requires, at the minimum, a Macintosh Plus with
one megabtye of RAM and a hard disk drive.  The new Workshop will
not run ... on systems without hard disks.")

Moral: if you don't have enough money to buy a hard disk, save some
more money and buy a smaller (cheaper) system, from someone like
Think, Borland, TML, etc.
--
	Joel West  (c/o UCSD)
	Palomar Software, Inc., P.O. Box 2635, Vista, CA  92083