[comp.sys.mac] Printing under Hypercard

STORKEL@RICE.BITNET (Scott Storkel) (09/10/87)

Help! (again)

In a Hypercard application I am developing I need to print out a form that
fills an entire page. Currently what I do is print two consecutive cards with
the 'No space between cards' option checked in the Print Stack dialog box. This
works fine, so far so good.

The problem is Hypercard doesn't seem to remember this setting. If I open the
stack for the first time and print the form it prints as if the box wasn't
checked. If I open the Print Stack dialog box, the box is checked. If I then
hit Cancel, things print fine.

The stack is going to be used to display product information to people who are
not necesarily computer oriented, so I want to be able to set the printing
characteristcs, and forget about them. Does anyone have a fix for this? Apple?
Anyone?

Thanks for any help,
Scott Storkel
(STORKEL@RICE.BITNET)
Macintosh Software Development
Rice University

keith@apple.UUCP (09/12/87)

In article <112STORKEL@RICE> STORKEL@RICE.BITNET (Scott Storkel) writes:
>In a Hypercard application I am developing I need to print out a form that
>fills an entire page. Currently what I do is print two consecutive cards with
>the 'No space between cards' option checked in the Print Stack dialog box. This
>works fine, so far so good.
>
>The problem is Hypercard doesn't seem to remember this setting. If I open the
>stack for the first time and print the form it prints as if the box wasn't
>checked. If I open the Print Stack dialog box, the box is checked. If I then
>hit Cancel, things print fine.
>
>The stack is going to be used to display product information to people who are
>not necesarily computer oriented, so I want to be able to set the printing
>characteristcs, and forget about them. Does anyone have a fix for this? Apple?
>Anyone?

I haven't verified that this is a bug, but if it is, try this stack script:

on OpenStack
	set lockscreen to true
	domenu "Print Stack..."  -- bring up the print stack dialog
	type return -- put dialog box away
	set lockscreen to false
end OpenStack

I have a feeling that the lockscreen will not prevent the dialog box from
appearing, but I can't check it out right now.

Keith Rollin
Sales Tech Support
Apple Computer

Disclaimer: Any kludges I present here are my own, and do not necessarily
		represent the kludges of my employer.

winkler@apple.UUCP (09/12/87)

In HyperCard 1.0.1, there is no way for a script to respond to a
printing dialog or to any other kind of dialog for that matter.
Whenever a script does something that puts up a dialog,  HyperCard
enters a tight loop waiting for the user to respond to it.  Thus,
scripts that do batch jobs must never do anything that brings up a
dialog or else they will hang waiting for user input.

We realize it would be better if scripts could respond to dialog boxes
or prevent them from being displayed at all, and we are looking at ways
to provide that ability in the next release.

Dan.