[comp.sys.mac] Is it possible to lockout unauthori

dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (09/03/87)

>My department has a couple of Laserwriters (with attached Macs) in semi-public
>areas.  We are interested in knowing if there is any way to prevent after-hours
>printing by unauthorized users who have key access to the rooms.  Are there any
>gizmos, software or hardware, that will lock up a Laserwriter?
>--
>Julian Vrieslander    (607) 255-3594
>Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853

Why don't you remove and lock in a drawer either the paper tray or the
toner cartridge?  They're both easy to remove, and small enough to put in
a file cabinet.
----
Internet: dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu  UUCP: {ihnp4,seismo}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 333-3339

clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) (09/10/87)

In article <174400050@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>>My department has a couple of Laserwriters (with attached Macs) in semi-public
>>areas.  We are interested in knowing if there is any way to prevent after-hours
>>printing by unauthorized users who have key access to the rooms.  Are there any
>>gizmos, software or hardware, that will lock up a Laserwriter?
>>--
>>Julian Vrieslander    (607) 255-3594
>>Neurobiology & Behavior, W250 Mudd Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853
>
>Why don't you remove and lock in a drawer either the paper tray or the
>toner cartridge?  They're both easy to remove, and small enough to put in
>a file cabinet.
>----
>Steve Dorner, U of Illinois Computing Services Office

Locking away the paper tray won't stop someone from using manual feed. The
toner cartridge is the way to go.

kateley@apple.UUCP (09/12/87)

munch...

Actually, have you ever tried to print a document using manual feed
without the tray installed?  You will find that the printer will not
print without it...

Jim Kateley
(Still looking for my .sig*)
Disclaimer:  My employer just lets me hang out on this net, thats all

--

Jim Kateley
Applelink: kateley1

Disclaimer: All the usual stuff, I speak for myself, etc...

Remember: When you smile :-), the world smiles with you,
          When you frown :-(, the world thinks you are hung over...

shibumi@well.UUCP (Kenton A. Hoover) (09/14/87)

In article <6216@apple.UUCP> kateley@apple.UUCP (Jim Kateley) writes:
>Actually, have you ever tried to print a document using manual feed
>without the tray installed?  You will find that the printer will not
>print without it...

If you reach into the slot where the paper tray resides, you can feel the lever
switches that are the paper tray and paper out sensors.  You can hold them
in while printing, or wedge a block of styrofoam (which is malable and sticks
in very nicely) in such a way as to depress both switches.

Lock away the cartridge -- its what you are trying to save anyway.

--
!   Kenton A. Hoover             {hoptoad,hplabs,lll-lcc,ptsfa}!well!shibumi !
!                                 SNAIL: 1748 Clement Street                 !