[comp.sys.mac] Cutting Edge Hard Disk?

donch@tekirl.TEK.COM (Don Chitwood) (09/10/87)

There was an ad recently in a Mac magazine advertising a hard disc drive
by an outfit called Cutting Edge.  The Drive is a 30M unit and they want
something like $675 for it.  I talked to them by phone and was told it
has a 1 year warranty, parts and labor, that the drive was made by Microscience,
that it had head parking and locking, that it was transportable, it came
preformatted and with some Apple backup software.   It sounded pretty good
to me.  Anyone know anything about this company and its products?

I'm hot to buy a hard disc soon, and $675 just about would empty my pockets.
There's also a Rodime-made (ex-Peachtree) HD that I can get locally for
$665 with a 1 year warranty from Rodime.  Also, there is the Cirrus 21 made
locally by Kammerman Labs.  I've used one of these a bit and really like it,
however, I've been trying to get Kamerman on the phone for over a month, using
the phone numbers in his magazine ads, with no contact yet.  I even went by
the "factory" recently during work hours and it was locked up tight as a drum
with a couple of Wall Street Journals tucked in the front door.  I'm real
nervous buying from an outfit that won't even answer the phone, if the phone
is really there.

Someone on the net is doing a survey of hard discs.  I anxiously await the
results.

Don Chitwood
Tek Labs
Tektronix, Inc.
Beaverton, Or.

palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (09/11/87)

In article <748@tekirl.TEK.COM> donch@tekirl.TEK.COM (Don Chitwood) writes:
>There was an ad recently in a Mac magazine advertising a hard disc drive
>by an outfit called Cutting Edge.  The Drive is a 30M unit and they want
>something like $675 for it.  I talked to them by phone and was told it
>has a 1 year warranty, parts and labor, that the drive was made by Microscience,

I am thinking about the same drive, but:
	It currently (earlier this week) does not support the SE or MacII.
They predict that these will be supported one month after whenever you call.
	Someone I know of has had a drive on order for three weeks.  When
he called, they said it would be three weeks more.
	The drive is 29ms (fast) access time, and has no fan.

In other words, wait if you've got a newer machine, get a firm shipping
date, and order with a credit card so that you won't be billed until
they actually ship.  I am currently waiting for them to support the
newer machines, THEN I will buy, unless a better deal comes along. (Most
of the 30Mbyte drives around have 65-85ms access time)

		David Palmer
		palmer@tybalt.caltech.edu
		...rutgers!cit-vax!tybalt.caltech.edu!palmer
	The opinions expressed are those of an 8000 year old Atlantuan
	priestess named Mrla, and not necessarily those of her channel.

graifer@net1.ucsd.edu (Dan Graifer) (09/11/87)

In article <748@tekirl.TEK.COM> Don Chitwood writes:
>Someone on the net is doing a survey of hard discs.  I anxiously await the
>results.

That someone is me,  I was waiting for more comments on my proposed
structure.  I have received a few asking for price and location purchased.
I now have a problem;  I seem to have deleted my copy of my original
proposal.  If someone will please e-mail my own posting back to me, I
will post the final version and begin gathering statistics.

Ooops...Sorry about that...
                              Dan Graifer
                              graifer@net1.UCSD.EDU
Disclaimer: Nobody ever listens to me anyways; Why should they start now?

jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (Jerry Whitnell) (09/14/87)

In article <748@tekirl.TEK.COM| donch@tekirl.TEK.COM (Don Chitwood) writes:
|There was an ad recently in a Mac magazine advertising a hard disc drive
|by an outfit called Cutting Edge.

You might want to give ComputerWare a call.  They have DataFrame 20's in that
general price range.  They also give better support then SuperMac does (
answers right away rather then a day later).  They have an 800 number,
or you can get their store at 415-323-7559.  I'd personally rather buy a
disk from a known vendor.

Disclaimer: My only relationship with ComputerWare and SuperMac is that I've
given both of them lot's of my money and have been happy with the results.

|Someone on the net is doing a survey of hard discs.  I anxiously await the
|results.
|
|Don Chitwood
|Tek Labs
|Tektronix, Inc.
|Beaverton, Or.

Jerry Whitnell                           It's a damn poor mind that can only
Communication Solutions, Inc.            think of one way to spell a word.
						-- Andrew Jackson