[comp.sys.mac] Which Is Better: DMCS or Concertware+?

howard@mtunj.ATT.COM (H. Moskovitz) (08/20/87)

I was playing around with a friend's copy of Deluxe music Construction set.
I liked it except for the problem that it an old version and does not work
properly with the latest version of OS on the SE (4.1/5.5), so I must run
it from the floppy as the boot disk which makes it slooooow. Also, it does
not like the HFS filesystem and does not find stuff inside folders.

My question is: are these problems resolved in the new + improved DMCS?
What NEW features are in it? How does Concertware+ Midi compare to DMCS?
Since they are both in the same ballpark pricerange, which is more of a
bang for the buck?

				Thanks (in advance).
		Howard Moskovitz
	AT&T Bell Labs @ Liberty Corner, NJ
		ihnp4!io!howard

ghoti@killer.UUCP (Alan Perry) (08/22/87)

The above article requested information about which of those two I preferred.
I will answer that with Concertware+.  Now, if you really want to know what
I like best, it is Studio Session by MacNifty.  The instruments are digitized
so you get the best sound out of any music program I know of for the mac.
Also, you are allowed 6 (that's right, not just 4) voices with promises of a
new release which will support 8 voices.  The way they could do this was simple,
they just rewrote the sound driver for the Mac.

So, if you want a good (strike that, great!) music program for the mac, try
Studio Session.

- Alan

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed are solely mine and do not necessarily
            reflect those of anyone else living, dead or otherwise.

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (08/24/87)

It's been a while since I evaluated these, but it seemed to me
that Studio Session did have the best sound, but DMCS had the
best music editor.  However, the DMCS copy protection was odious
and like all copy protection, crashed miserably on newer machines
even with a legitimate copy.

Last I'd heard, DMCS was due to come out on the IIgs, so if that's
not ready yet, I wouldn't hold my breath for a fixed Mac version.

howard@mtunj.ATT.COM (H. Moskovitz) (08/27/87)

In article <1377@killer.UUCP> ghoti@killer.UUCP (Alan Perry) writes:

>I like best, it is Studio Session by MacNifty.  The instruments are digitized
>so you get the best sound out of any music program I know of for the mac.
>Also, you are allowed 6 (that's right, not just 4) voices with promises of a
>new release which will support 8 voices.  The way they could do this was simple,
>they just rewrote the sound driver for the Mac.

I have two questions:

	1) Does it support MIDI (if so, how well)?

	2) How well does it print out scores on the LW? Does it support
	   ADOBE's Sonata font (like DMCS)?

ghoti@killer.UUCP (09/02/87)

In article <47@mtunj.ATT.COM>, howard@mtunj.ATT.COM (H. Moskovitz) writes:

> I have two questions:
>
> 	1) Does it support MIDI (if so, how well)?

  I don't think the version I have does, but the newest version out (the one
with support for 8 voices) is going to....at least that is the story I heard...

> 	2) How well does it print out scores on the LW? Does it support
> 	   ADOBE's Sonata font (like DMCS)?

  I don't know if it would support the Sonata font or not....  Also, I don't
know what it looks like on a LaserWriter since I don't have access to one.

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help...

- Ghoti (that's pronounced "fish"
            GH as in lauGH
             O as in wOmen
        and TI as in moTIon)

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (09/04/87)

A revised version of DMCS will support Sonata, which, a year ago, was
listed as "Real Soon Now."  I have not heard anything since then.
--
	Joel West  (c/o UCSD)
	Palomar Software, Inc., P.O. Box 2635, Vista, CA  92083

ralph@lzfme.UUCP (R.BRANDI) (09/07/87)

In article <3787@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, jww@sdcsvax.UUCP writes:
> A revised version of DMCS will support Sonata, which, a year ago, was
> listed as "Real Soon Now."  I have not heard anything since then.
> --
> 	Joel West  (c/o UCSD)
> 	Palomar Software, Inc., P.O. Box 2635, Vista, CA  92083
> 	{ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww 	jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
>    or	ihnp4!crash!palomar!joel	joel@palomar.cts.com

DMCS 2.0, which supports the Sonata laser font (if you buy the laser
version separately from Adobe) has been out for a number of months
now.  It's pretty nice, although for some parts there's a pretty
steep learning curve.  Especially on the Voice Editor (a nice
addition, but a little difficult for someone without a background in
acoustics to make something useful with from scratch).  The only
problem with it is the fershlugginer *%&$%^ copy protection.  Does
anybody know if EA offers a deprotected version of this?  I know
they do for their Amiga software, but when I wrote to them
complaining about their CP policy, their reply made no mention of
that possibility.

Ralph

    ====      | Disclaimer: Just `cuz I work on the Death Star,
 ==OOO=====   | that doesn't mean I speak for Darth Vader...
=OOOOOOO====  | Ralph Brandi, {ihnp4,mhuxt}!homxb!mtuxo!lzfme!ralph
=OOOOOOO====  | Kopykat (k) 1987, R.A.Brandi
 ==OOO=====   | All Rights Reserved, All Jams Preserved,
    ====      | All Nasty Comments Soundly Deserved...

naftoli@aecom.YU.EDU (Robert N. Berlinger) (09/09/87)

In article <3787@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU>, jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) writes:
> A revised version of DMCS will support Sonata, which, a year ago, was
> listed as "Real Soon Now."  I have not heard anything since then.

It's been supported for quite some time now, even though you haven't
"heard."  I haven't personally tried it, though.
--
Robert N. Berlinger					naftoli@aecom.yu.edu
Supervisor of Systems Support

jmm@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Jim Moy) (09/09/87)

>                                                   ...The only
> problem with it is the fershlugginer *%&$%^ copy protection.

Concertware+MIDI (I have version 3) is not copy protected.
It runs nicely through my Passport MIDI interface on my SE.
It does not support the Sonata font, but I only have an
Imagewriter; the print quality is acceptable and comes in
three "sizes" of notation.

Jim Moy
hplabs!hpfcla!jmm

gardner@prls.UUCP (Robert Gardner) (09/14/87)

In article <5110004@hpfcdc.HP.COM> jmm@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Jim  Moy) writes:

>Concertware+MIDI (I have version 3) is not copy protected.
>It runs nicely through my Passport MIDI interface on my SE.
>It does not support the Sonata font, but I only have an
>Imagewriter; the print quality is acceptable and comes in
>three "sizes" of notation.

ConcertWare+MIDI Version 4 was just released which was a major rewrite
of the program. It supports the Sonata font, has much improved print
quality and control, including text which sticks to the notes, chords,
polyphonic chord entry from a synthesizer, multiple staffs, MIDI macros,
multi-voice editing, supports color on Mac II, etc.

I will refrain from passing judgement on how well it does any of this
since I was involved with the original ConcertWare+ (but not with this
upgrade). I do think it's appropriate for me to let people know it
exists, however! (Price was raised to $150 for this version.)

Robert Gardner

jmm@thoth17.berkeley.edu.BERKELEY.EDU (09/14/87)

How well does DMCS handle long strings of grace notes?

James Moore