[comp.sys.mac] Set Startup

snyder@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Scott Snyder) (09/10/87)

Hi,
    I've been trying to create a boot disk without a finder.  Everytime I try
to get rid of the finder by setting either an application or a Minifinder as
the startup I have problems. The Mac will start (a happy Mac) and then spit
out the disk. When I put the finder back on or start from a differnt drive I
have no problem.  For some reason the system wants to see the finder even if
its not using it.
    I must be doing something stupid, or in the wrong order.  Please help.

                            Scott     snyder@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu

joseph@cooper.UUCP (Joe Giannuzzi) (09/10/87)

In article <2287@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, snyder@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Scott Snyder) writes:
> Hi,
>     I've been trying to create a boot disk without a finder.  Everytime I try
> to get rid of the finder by setting either an application or a Minifinder as
> the startup I have problems. The Mac will start (a happy Mac) and then spit
> out the disk. When I put the finder back on or start from a differnt drive I
> have no problem.  For some reason the system wants to see the finder even if
> its not using it.

I am not sure of this, being a relatively new mac user, but I think the disk
has to contain a file called Finder regardless of whether a startup file has
been selected. Creating an empty file called Finder on the disk should work.
(so I've heard) I guess you could then render the pseudo-Finder invisible.

Joe Gunoz	cmcl2!phri!cooper!joseph

"The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe,
 and everything is ... forty two."

dudek@utcsri.UUCP (09/12/87)

    You can't just remove the Finder from a boot disk even if some
other program in set as startup.  I'm not sure, but Finder may run
briefly & invisibly to launch the actual startup program.
    In you want a startup disk that really does not have a finder, you
can either just rename to application you want to use as startup
to be "Finder", or edit the boot blocks field (the one with
"Finder" in it) to hold the name of your "new" program.  This
latter approach has the disadvantage that if the boot blocks get
rewritten you're out of luck & have to re-edit.

blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (09/13/87)

In article <5387@utcsri.UUCP> dudek@utcsri.UUCP (Gregory Dudek) writes:
|    You can't just remove the Finder from a boot disk even if some
|other program in set as startup.  I'm not sure, but Finder may run
|briefly & invisibly to launch the actual startup program.

The Finder is not used to launch the startup program, it's done with a simple
_Launch trap.  However, under HFS at least, the folder containing the System
file and the Finder is known as the blessed folder.  When you boot, this is the
folder searched when looking for the System and Finder.  If you remove the
Finder, your System Folder is no longer blessed, so you will be unable to boot
from that disk.

|    In you want a startup disk that really does not have a finder, you
|can either just rename to application you want to use as startup
|to be "Finder", or edit the boot blocks field (the one with
|"Finder" in it) to hold the name of your "new" program.  This
|latter approach has the disadvantage that if the boot blocks get
|rewritten you're out of luck & have to re-edit.

Both of these work nicely.  Renaming your application to Finder is probably the
easiest.
--
Brian L. Matthews                               "A man with one watch knows
...{mnetor,uw-beaver!ssc-vax}!cxsea!blm          what time it is; a man with

cgeiger@ut-ngp.UUCP (charles s. geiger, esq.) (09/14/87)

> >    I've been trying to create a boot disk without a finder.  Everytime I try
> > to get rid of the finder by setting either an application or a Minifinder as
> > the startup I have problems. The Mac will start (a happy Mac) and then spit
> > out the disk. When I put the finder back on or start from a differnt drive I
> > have no problem.  For some reason the system wants to see the finder even if
> > its not using it.
>
> I am not sure of this, being a relatively new mac user, but I think the disk
> has to contain a file called Finder regardless of whether a startup file has
> been selected. Creating an empty file called Finder on the disk should work.
> (so I've heard) I guess you could then render the pseudo-Finder invisible.

I am sure of this:  rename the application 'Finder.'  This will work.

cheers, from
charles s. geiger
ARPA:  cgeiger@ngp.cc.utexas.edu       cgeiger@ut-ngp.ARPA
UUCP:  ihnp4!ut-ngp!cgeiger     allegra!ut-ngp!cgeiger
       gatech!ut-ngp!cgeiger    seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!cgeiger
       harvard!ut-sally!ut-ngp!cgeiger