[comp.sys.mac] PowerHouse for the Mac?

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (09/08/87)

In article <11540014@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> david@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) writes:
>Robert, great message...now when will we see Powerhouse on the Mac???

What is powerHouse?  The only PowerHouse I know of is X-10 PowerHouse,
the program that lets you control common household appliances from
your Mac. It's been out for about a year now.

--- David Phillip Oster            --My Good News: "I'm a perfectionist."
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --My Bad News: "I don't charge by the hour."
Uucp: {seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu

david@hpsmtc1.HP.COM (David Williams) (09/09/87)

Nope, it (Powerhouse) is a 4th Generation Language that runs on Hp, Data
General and Dec minicomputers and very soon the Boat Anchor pc from IBM. I'd
just like a version for my macintosh!

roberts@cognos.uucp (Robert Stanley) (09/10/87)

				      (David Williams) writes:
>>Robert, great message...now when will we see Powerhouse on the Mac???

>What is powerHouse?  The only PowerHouse I know of is X-10 PowerHouse,
>the program that lets you control common household appliances from
>your Mac. It's been out for about a year now.

Please, before we start, can we not carry this one off into an endless
discussion, mainly because I do NOT speak officially for Cognos.

PowerHouse is a fourth generation programming language (4GL) for development
and execution of reasonably standard commercial data-processing applications.
It is now nearly eight years old, but has evolved steadily from its origins
on the HP-3000/MPE systems.  It now runs on VAX/VMS and under AOS on DG
systems, and the latest releases offer full relational database support.  It is
very definitely aimed at corporate data-processing, and is limited at present
to the mini-computer world.  Earlier this year we announced our 8,000th copy
sold, or maybe it was customer (I don't know that stuff, although I should).

Since David Williams works for HP (I deduce, perhaps erroneously, from the
origin of his posting), I assumed that his reply to me was a tongue-in-cheek
dig at Cognos, who have to date announced but not released a PC-based version
of PowerHouse.  Although I am not involved in the PC project, I am fairly
(but unofficially) certain that PowerHouse on a PC will only be a satellite to
mini-based host systems, and not a stand-alone system.  Cognos has made no
announcement of a Macintosh-based version of the product.

I work for the research group at Cognos, where my mandate lies in the fields
of human interfaces and artificial intelligence.  I have astonishingly little
to do with our current products, and am not at liberty to discuss unannounced
products.  I am NOT an official spokesman for Cognos, but I can pass enquiries
to someone who is, or can get an offical statement if one is needed.  You may
make what you will of the fact that I own a Lisa, and that Cognos clearly has
Macintoshes on strength.

From this evening I shall be away for nearly four weeks of glorious vacation
to celebrate the wrapping up of two heavy-duty projects, and I do not intend
to be close to electricity until I get back.  Please hold enquiries until
October, and direct flames to /dev/null.

Thanks.
--
Robert Stanley           Cognos Incorporated     S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
Voice: (613) 738-1440 (Research: there are 2!)           3755 Riverside Drive

dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) (09/15/87)

In article <1419@cognos.UUCP> roberts@cognos.UUCP (Robert Stanley) writes:
>In article <20545@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP
>				       (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>>In article <11540014@hpsmtc1.HP.COM> david@hpsmtc1.HP.COM
>				      (David Williams) writes:
>>>Robert, great message...now when will we see Powerhouse on the Mac???
>
>>What is powerHouse?  The only PowerHouse I know of is X-10 PowerHouse,
>>the program that lets you control common household appliances from
>>your Mac. It's been out for about a year now.
>
>Please, before we start, can we not carry this one off into an endless
>discussion, mainly because I do NOT speak officially for Cognos.
>
>PowerHouse is a fourth generation programming language (4GL) for development
>and execution of reasonably standard commercial data-processing applications.
Lest the discussion degenerate even further, I currently know
of four different things (and doubtless there are more, it's
not exactly a unique name :-) named PowerHouse:
	1.  The BSR X-10 remote control stuff.  As stated above, there
	is a version for the Mac.

	2.  The 4GL mentioned above, which I shall have to take the
	original author's word does not run on macs.

	3.  The latest and greatest replacement finder by the individual
	who wrote PowerStation.  This one is a commercial product which
	>only< runs on the mac.

	4.  A candy bar made by, I believe, Hershey.  Might run on a mac
	if you don't have a fan...
--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi