[comp.sys.mac] Nova

clarke@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU (Cam Clarke) (09/10/87)

I'm thinking about purchasing a hard drive for my Macintosh Plus, and
cost is my primary consideration.  The best price I've found on a
hard drive is the Nova 30 for $689 from Microtech Peripherals, Inc.
Has anyone bought from this company, seen or heard about their hard
drives, or know of a better deal?  I want to save money, but I don't
want to be buying a lemon.  I've looked in back issues of MacWorld and
MacUser and only found their ads going back to June of 1987, but their
ad indicates that they've been selling an 800K floppy drive since 1985.
Any information on this hard drive, or on a comparable 30 meg drive
would be appreciated.

This posting is not designed to be a negative comment on Microtech, I'm
just over cautious, and don't know anything about them.  I assume they're
a fine upstanding corporation. I have no connection with Microtech, or any
hard drive company.

						-Cam Clarke

clarke%husc4@harvard.ARPA		clarke@husc4.harvard.edu
clarke@husc4.UUCP			clarke@HARVUNXU.BITNET
...{sesimo, harpo, ihnp4, linus, allegra, ut-sally}!harvard!husc4!clarke

beloin@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Beloin) (09/11/87)

In article <94@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU> clarke@wjh12.UUCP (Cam Clarke) writes:

>I'm thinking about purchasing a hard drive for my Macintosh Plus, and
>cost is my primary consideration.  The best price I've found on a
>hard drive is the Nova 30 for $689 from Microtech Peripherals, Inc.

I just picked up a 20M SCSI drive from MacConnection for $569, including
cable, and I'm quite happy with it. Although you mentioned 30M, I'd
thought I'd pass this on anyway. It is made by Rodime, sits under the
mac, and doesn't have a fan. In fact, it looks just like the pictures
of the Nova20 from microtech, sans logo. It is as quiet as my Dataframe
and disktimer II results as virtually identical to the dataframe 20 (non-
XP). It is larger, but much lighter, than the dataframe. Daisy chaining
was no problem. Drawbacks: heat production under mac may cause the mac
to run warmer than it would; changing address requires fiddling with
jumpers inside. But, the price is right. Warranty is 120 days, and
I probably don't need to mention that MacConnection has a great reputation.
--ron.
 Ron Beloin, Ecosystems Research Center, Corson Hall, Cornell, Ithaca,NY 14853
 >> opinions << BITNET:BELOIN@CRNLTHRY; INTERNET:beloin@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
 >> are mine << UUCP:{cmcl2,shasta,uw-beaver,rochester}!cornell!tcgould!beloin

lonetto@phri.UUCP (Michael Lonetto) (09/11/87)

In article <2295@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> beloin@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Beloin) writes:

(mention of $569 Rodime drive from MacConnection, along with mention of good
performance,  etc)

>Drawbacks: heat production under mac may cause the mac
>to run warmer than it would; changing address requires fiddling with
>jumpers inside. But, the price is right. Warranty is 120 days, and
>I probably don't need to mention that MacConnection has a great reputation.

The last I heard, Rodime required a patched system folder.  Thus, when
the system software changed you had to wait for Rodime to figure out the
patches and supply you with new software (through dealers??).  While I'm
sure this could be done well (especially if they mail updates to registered
owners), it does put one at the mercy of the drive manufacturer with regard
to system software updates.

If Rodime hasn't changed this I think it should be taken as a point against
what sounds like a well made and very economical drive.

My employer won't admit that I have any opinions.
--
Michael Lonetto    UUCP:(allegra!phri!lonetto)
Dept of Applied Genetics

hallett@macbeth.steinmetz (Jeff R Hallett) (09/11/87)

In article <2295@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> beloin@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Ron Beloin) writes:
>I just picked up a 20M SCSI drive from MacConnection for $569, including
>cable, and I'm quite happy with it. Although you mentioned 30M, I'd

Apparently, you have a true Mac Plus, keyboard and all.  Don't try
using any other keyboards as they have hardwired the keyboard driver
into the system file.

>thought I'd pass this on anyway. It is made by Rodime, sits under the
>mac, and doesn't have a fan. In fact, it looks just like the pictures
>of the Nova20 from microtech, sans logo. It is as quiet as my Dataframe
>and disktimer II results as virtually identical to the dataframe 20 (non-
>XP). It is larger, but much lighter, than the dataframe. Daisy chaining
>was no problem. Drawbacks: heat production under mac may cause the mac
>to run warmer than it would; changing address requires fiddling with
>jumpers inside. But, the price is right. Warranty is 120 days, and
>I probably don't need to mention that MacConnection has a great reputation.

Also, don't try using any System except the one they give you (that's
about 3.2, isn't it).  Their SCSI driver is hardwired into that as
well and changing Systems means your drive dies.  You cannot use the
new System until Rodime decides to give you one.

On the whole, I liked my Rodime when I got it from MC also.  However,
the System inflexibilities were too much and I returned it.  I'm very
happy with my Jasmine 20.  As soon as I figure out what all the crap
does that came on it....

Jeffrey A. Hallett               (hallett@ge-crd.arpa   hallett@desdemona.uucp)
Software Technology Program
General Electric Corporate Research and Development

"The needs of the few outweigh the needs of the many"

                                 -- Kirk  (STIII)
Disclaimer: I  do not guarantee the validity  of the content, meaning,
or nature of anything in  this  message as my  own  sanity may  be  in
doubt.   My employer doesn't  either and   probably  won't admit  they
employ me if called.

In article <2893@phri.UUCP> lonetto@phri.UUCP (Michael Lonetto) writes:

>The last I heard, Rodime required a patched system folder.  Thus, when

The Rodime 20M drive from MacConnection ($569, if you haven't been
following this thread) does not require patches to system file. It
also comes with backup software, but its the program that Supermac
used before switching to the much better Diskfit program.
--ron.

merchant@dartvax.UUCP (Peter Merchant) (09/15/87)

In article <7313@steinmetz.steinmetz.UUCP>, Jeff R Hallett writes:
> Also, don't try using any System except the one they give you (that's
> about 3.2, isn't it).  Their SCSI driver is hardwired into that as
> well and changing Systems means your drive dies.  You cannot use the
> new System until Rodime decides to give you one.
>
> On the whole, I liked my Rodime when I got it from MC also.  However,
> the System inflexibilities were too much and I returned it.  I'm very
> happy with my Jasmine 20.  As soon as I figure out what all the crap
> does that came on it....
>
> Jeffrey A. Hallett               (hallett@ge-crd.arpa   hallett@desdemona.uucp)

I have two MacConnection Rodime 20s here.  Neither of them has the original
system (which seems to have the international resource set to England, as I
was getting pound signs and various other odd symbols) but are using System
4.0 (I think) and Finder 5.5.

Both have been running flawlessly.  Except for an occasional high-pitched
squeal, I'm more than happy with it. (I don't hear it, but everyone else around
me does.  Either they're trying to drive me mad or I've been listening to too
much loud music)    It's connected to a Macintosh Plus with the old style
keyboard.
--
"I don't have anything to wear..."       Peter Merchant (merchant@dartvax.UUCP)