[comp.sys.mac] We can't buy Macs at Harvard

waldman@endor.harvard.edu (benjamin Waldman) (09/15/87)

A while ago someone posted to the net mentioning that students were not allowed
to buy LaserWriters at their University Consortium school. Well, if you thought
that was bad, listen to this:

FLAME ON

At Harvard, you can no longer buy an SE or a Plus alone. You have to buy it in
a PACKAGE.  And all packages include Microsoft Word 3.01.  If you already have
MS Word (or prefer to use a different WP), well, that's just too bad.  Either
you buy a package, or you don't get a computer. And when you do buy a computer,
you can't get it until October 9th.

And, you have to buy the standard keyboard, rather than the extended one,
because all of the packages have the standard keyboard.

I wonder what Apple thinks of this?  Naturally, Microsoft will love it...

FLAME OFF

				Ben Waldman
				waldman@endor.harvard.edu

leeke@glacier.STANFORD.EDU (Steven D. Leeke) (09/16/87)

In article <2840@husc6.UUCP> waldman@endor.UUCP (benjamin Waldman) writes:
>FLAME ON
>
>At Harvard, you can no longer buy an SE or a Plus alone. You have to buy it in
>a PACKAGE.  And all packages include Microsoft Word 3.01.  If you already have
>MS Word (or prefer to use a different WP), well, that's just too bad.  Either
>you buy a package, or you don't get a computer. And when you do buy a computer,
>I wonder what Apple thinks of this?  Naturally, Microsoft will love it...
>
>FLAME OFF
>
>				Ben Waldman
>				waldman@endor.harvard.edu

Wasn't it Harvard which required (or STRONGLY suggested) its B school students
to buy the PC Portable (not the Convertible, but the big, slow, amber,
heavy, strange slotted, beast)?

Now with the Mac fiasco, one really has to wonder who sets policy for them.
We CAN buy Word with our Mac's at Stanford, but we don't have to.  In fact
so many people complained about bundling the keyboards with SE's and II's that
the AUC people unbundled them.  Perhaps a few loud complaints to the right
people will get things moving in the right direction.

Steve Leeke

--
Steven D. Leeke, Center for Integrated Systems, Stanford University
    {ucbvax,decvax}!decwrl!glacier!leeke, leeke@glacier.stanford.edu

"I suppose they don't use money in the 23rd century?"