[comp.sys.mac] Courier 9

cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) (09/16/87)

I'm having some trouble printing text using Courier 9 (18 really, I
suppose) on the ImageWriter II (Macintosh II, System 4.1, Finder 5.5,
ImageWrite 2.6).  Try printing something like this:

	   Here's some_text_in Courier_9_done_with my favorite
	   program (I_tried_MacWrite, MacDraw, Trapeze, and
	   GraphicWorks 1.1).  When_printed_on_the ImageWriter
	   II, some_words that_follow_the_words with underscores
	   in_them will_end_up_way_too far to the right.

They show up fine on the screen (in 9 or 18 point).  It looks like
someone is calculating the length of the words with underscores
incorrectly (the Font Manager?  The ImageWriter driver?  The Print
Manager?  The butler?).  To see this, put a phrase with some
underscores in a text object in MacDraw, and place that on top of a
filled rectangle.  Set the fill of the text object to white.  When
printed out, the hole punched by the text fill is too small for the
text itself.

So, what's up?  How do I fix this?  When can I expect Apple to provide
an official fix :-) ?  Maybe they could provide Courier 20 at the same
time....

Charlie Allen		cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (09/16/87)

In article <814@newton.physics.purdue.edu> cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) writes:
>I'm having some trouble printing text using Courier 9 (18 really, I
>suppose) on the ImageWriter II (Macintosh II, System 4.1, Finder 5.5,
>ImageWrite 2.6).  Try printing something like this:

Courier is a Laserwriter font. Try using Monaco
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

We live and learn, but not the wiser grow -- John Pomfret (1667-1703)

steele@unc.UUCP (09/17/87)

chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>In article <814@newton.physics.purdue.edu> cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu (Charles C. Allen) writes:
>>I'm having some trouble printing text using Courier 9 (18 really, I
>>suppose) on the ImageWriter II (Macintosh II, System 4.1, Finder 5.5,
>>ImageWrite 2.6).  Try printing something like this:
>
>Courier is a Laserwriter font. Try using Monaco

Does the ImageWriter driver use the fractional font widths even if the
application has set FractEnable(false)?  Otherwise I don't understand how
being a LaserWriter font could make any difference.

If this is the case, and you just want word processing, you can use
WriteNow and turn printer spacing on (or use a DA or INIT that sets
FractEnable)  .  Otherwise, you can remove the fractional width table from
your copies of Courier (and preferably rename it).

Oliver Steele				  ...!{decvax,ihnp4}!mcnc!unc!steele
							steele%unc@mcnc.org

	"It takes three to hierarchy." -- John Smith