[comp.sys.mac] 68030 in MacII

norman@a.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) (09/11/87)

According to Rand Miller's artical in the September issue of Macazine, the
"Mac II is designed so this new chip [the 68030] will pop right in to
replace the 68020."

Now grant you, I'm not a hardware type (in fact, semantics of programming
languages is my game) but it seems to me that with the double bus structure
of the 68030 the pinouts would not match.  Would any enlightend hardware
person like to comment on this?  Are the pinouts the same (implying that
the "Harvard style parallel architecture" is not seen off chip)?

Norman Graham (norman @ okstate)

lalonde@nicmad.UUCP (John Lalonde) (09/11/87)

>"Mac II is designed so this new chip [the 68030] will pop right in to
>replace the 68020."
>
>of the 68030 the pinouts would not match.  Would any enlightend hardware
>person like to comment on this?  Are the pinouts the same (implying that
>the "Harvard style parallel architecture" is not seen off chip)?

I am not an enlightened hardware person but I do have pinout info on the 68030
from Motorola.

The 68020 and the 68030 do *NOT* have the same pinout. I believe that Apple
tried to come up with an architecture which will allow 68030 based designs.
It may be possible to design a 68030 daughterboard that plugs into a
68020 socket but that would take an enlightened hardware person to give
an answer for that. :=}  I don't think Apple has ever said, implied or
hinted that the Mac II's 68020 could be directly replaced by a 68030. If they
did they are misleading people. If you want a real 68030 based system that
does not use some type of kludge daughterboard, you will have to wait
for the next machine in the Mac II architecture family.

--
John LaLonde
Systems Engineering Group

stergios@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Stergios Marinopoul) (09/12/87)

In article <2549@okstate.UUCP> norman@a.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) writes:
>According to Rand Miller's artical in the September issue of Macazine, the
>"Mac II is designed so this new chip [the 68030] will pop right in to
>replace the 68020."
> {edited}
>Are the pinouts the same (implying that
>the "Harvard style parallel architecture" is not seen off chip)?
>
>Norman Graham (norman @ okstate)

I'll speculate on this a little even though I have not read the article.
Even though the 020 has 32 address lines and the 000 has 24, you can still
pop in the former in the latter with a little glue simulating the requests
for lower or upper word on data transfers.  You simply map the higher data
lines on the first 16, and let the 020 run at half the bandwith on long data
moves. ( for a complete description on the how to's see EDN Jan. 23, 86)

Now this probably not the problem you are refering to, however I suspect
similiar gluing can be acomplished to make the two (020 & 030) compatable.
In any event, you propbably wont get the full performance increase
available, but half is still pretty good.

Stergios Marinopoulos
S&M Engineering

--
% UUCP:         !decwrl!rocky.stanford.edu!stergios			%
% ARPA:		f.flex@othello.stanford.edu				%

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (09/12/87)

The pin-outs of a 68882 match the 68881, so, theoretically,
you can pop it out.  But no, the 030 and 020 are not pin-compatible,
so I have no idea what they were talking about.
--
	Joel West  (c/o UCSD)
	Palomar Software, Inc., P.O. Box 2635, Vista, CA  92083

stuart@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Stu Ericson) (09/14/87)

In article <2549@okstate.UUCP>, norman@a.cs.okstate.edu (Norman Graham) writes:
> According to Rand Miller's artical in the September issue of Macazine, the
> "Mac II is designed so this new chip [the 68030] will pop right in to
> replace the 68020."
well, that's probably stretching it - more Motorolla's good design
[he's not a hardware man..]
> person like to comment on this?  Are the pinouts the same (implying that
> the "Harvard style parallel architecture" is not seen off chip)?

The difference in pin-outs comes from the fact that they put a subset
of the 68851 PMMU into the '030.  This means they need to have PMMU
special pins and such.  Because the Mac II has a spot for the PMMU,
it should be easy to wire up a board to map the pins of the '030
into the '020 and PMMU socket.  In fact, I've heard rumors that
Apple people in their labs have done this with sample '030s with
success.

Stu

--
Stuart Ericson			USnail:		AT&T Bell Laboratories
USENET: ...!ihnp4!ihlpf!stuart			IH 6M-313

devoz@encore.UUCP (Joe Devincentis) (09/16/87)

[]

Guys.  It is simple.  You want a 68030, you wait for the 68030 macII
BOARD TO BE DESIGNED.  This should be a simple plug in :-) to the NUBUS,
theoretically giving you a multiple CPU (can you say parallel?) workstation.

Yes you can plug the new 68030 into your macII, but it must be on it's own
CARD.

The macII should last quite a while....

							devoz@encore

"And I turned around to see that even my shadow had deserted me"

susser@parcvax.Xerox.COM (Josh Susser) (09/17/87)

[gulp]

In article <1945@encore.UUCP> devoz@encore.UUCP (Joe Devincentis) writes:
>Guys.  It is simple.  You want a 68030, you wait for the 68030 macII
>BOARD TO BE DESIGNED.  This should be a simple plug in :-) to the NUBUS,
>theoretically giving you a multiple CPU (can you say parallel?) workstation.
>
>Yes you can plug the new 68030 into your macII, but it must be on it's own
>CARD.

When I got my MacII, the first thing I did was open it up and look inside.
(I didn't have a monitor, so what else was I supposed to do?) Aside from the
overall cleanness of the design, the thing that impressed me most was that
the 68020 was socketed (at least it looks that way) and was right next to
the PMMU socket.

From what I remember hearing about the 68030, it should be possible to build
a tiny board with a 68030 and some SSI and plug it directly into the sockets
for the 68020 and 68851. Voila, a MacII that runs twice as fast!

Okay you Mac cognoscenti, am I on the right track here, or am I completely
confused?

By the way, looks like the 68881 is socketed as well, and the 68882 (which
is twice as fast) is plug compatible.

Apple, I like the way you guys design machines.

--Josh Susser
  Xerox Special Information Systems
  Susser.pasa@Xerox.com

Get up. What you seek is not written on the floor.