[comp.sys.mac] HyperCard "Art Ideas" stack

brooks@jumbo.dec.com (Ken Brooks) (09/16/87)

Playing with HyperCard, I came upon the "Art Ideas" stack, which seems
designed to provide graphics for users to cut out and paste into other
cards.  However, upon entry it always sets the userlevel to 1 (judging
from what appears on the menu bar) and resists all efforts to change it.
I type "set userlevel to 5" in the message window, and nothing changes.
I even tried 'send "set userlevel to 5" to HyperCard' to try to
circumvent the mysterious script.  No such luck.  So I have no way of
using any of these graphics.  Nor of seeing the remarkable script which
is doing this to me, which I am extremely curious to see.  I checked
all over the stacks that came with HyperCard, and this is the only one
that has this property.

Perhaps one of our readers at Apple can tell me what is going on, or
how to break this lock?

Ken Brooks
Digital Equipment Corporation
Palo Alto, CA
ucbvax!decwrl!brooks  brooks@src.dec.com

beloin@batcomputer.UUCP (09/17/87)

In article <933@jumbo.dec.com> brooks@jumbo.UUCP (Ken Brooks) writes:

>Playing with HyperCard, I came upon the "Art Ideas" stack, which seems
>designed to provide graphics for users to cut out and paste into other
>cards.  However, upon entry it always sets the userlevel to 1 (judging
>from what appears on the menu bar) and resists all efforts to change it.
This might do it. Hold down the command key when you hit the file menu
and you will see some additional choices. I think one of them is
protect stack. If there is no password protection, you will get a dialig
box that has several options, including freezing the userlevel. If it
asks you for a password before showing you the dialog, get a new art
ideas stack [ :-) ].

--ron.
 Ron Beloin, Ecosystems Research Center, Corson Hall, Cornell, Ithaca,NY 14853

dlt@csun.UUCP (09/17/87)

In article <933@jumbo.dec.com> brooks@jumbo.UUCP (Ken Brooks) writes:
>However, upon entry it always sets the userlevel to 1 (judging
>from what appears on the menu bar) and resists all efforts to change it.
>I type "set userlevel to 5" in the message window, and nothing changes.
>I even tried 'send "set userlevel to 5" to HyperCard' to try to
>circumvent the mysterious script.

I discovered last night (by reading Apples documentation that came with
Hypercard), having the same problem, that if you hold down the command
key whilst dragging through the file menu, the Protect Stack option is
there and enabled.  Provided that the stack is not password protected
you should then get the Protect Stack Dialog Box which will permit you
to change the userLevel.

--
Dave Thompson		     uucp:   {ihnp4|hplabs|psivax}!csun!dlt
CSUN Computer Center         phone:  (818) 885-2790