[comp.sys.mac] Macintosh file transfer tips wanted

stamr@unc.cs.unc.edu (Robert B. Stam) (09/05/87)

As a new Mac user I would appreciate help from more experienced
file transfer gurus.  I have been succesful transferring files
with Red Ryder by typing:

	% kermit -s filename

on Dopey (or whatever machine) and then selecting "Receive File, Kermit..."
from the Red Ryder menu.  A similar procedure works in the other direction.

My complaint with this procedure is that if I want to transfer 100 files
I have a long way to go doing them one by one.

So...  the questions are:

1)  Is there a real Kermit for the Mac?
2)  Does Red Ryder support multiple file transfer without intervention?
3)  Does any other comm package handle this well?
4)  Should I not be using Kermit?

and out of the blue:

5)  What do I need to do to get a document on the Mac that I can edit
with MacWord (or any editor) that isn't full of funny boxes where the
newlines were?

Thanks in advance,

--
Robert B. Stam                          CSNET: stamr@unc.edu
UNC Computer Science Department		ARPA:  stamr%unc@mcnc.org

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (09/08/87)

In article <1195@unc.cs.unc.edu> stamr@unc.cs.unc.edu (Robert B. Stam) writes:
>	% kermit -s filename
>
>My complaint with this procedure is that if I want to transfer 100 files
>I have a long way to go doing them one by one.

>1)  Is there a real Kermit for the Mac?

Versaterm handles both Kermit and Xmodem.

>2)  Does Red Ryder support multiple file transfer without intervention?

Never used Red Ryder.

>3)  Does any other comm package handle this well?

Versaterm 3.0 handles multiple file uploads.  You hit shift before
hitting the "send" button in the "send" dialog box.  It will send ALL
files in that Volume/Folder.  The documentation states that it works with
both Mac Xmodem and Kermit.  I haven't tried it.  This also assumes the
the host comm program knows what to do with the multiple files.

>4)  Should I not be using Kermit?
>
>and out of the blue:
>
>5)  What do I need to do to get a document on the Mac that I can edit
>with MacWord (or any editor) that isn't full of funny boxes where the
>newlines were?

Versaterm allows you to tailor what file type to save text files as (as
in creator: Write, Word 3.0, Edit, Qued (or random creator for plain
text)), and end-of-line treatment.
Quite flexible.

If you haven't guessed, I strongly recommend Versaterm 3.0.
(SDA: Standard Disclaimers Apply)
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no).*

stamr@unc.UUCP (09/13/87)

In article <1195@unc.cs.unc.edu>, stamr@unc.cs.unc.edu (Robert B. Stam) writes:

> So...  the questions are:
>
> 1)  Is there a real Kermit for the Mac?
> 2)  Does Red Ryder support multiple file transfer without intervention?
> 3)  Does any other comm package handle this well?
> 4)  Should I not be using Kermit?

I'd like to thank all those who responded to my request for information
about file transfer capabilities from a Unix Vax to my Macintosh.  This
article is a summary of my findings.  It doesn't match anyone's suggestions
exactly, but is sort of distilled from them.

-  Kermit is the best (most convenient) way to transfer files.  It works
best when you are running real Kermit on both ends (CKermit on the VAX
and MacKermit on the Mac).  Kermit is not the fastest (% bandwidth)
file transfer, it achieves about 50% efficiency.

-  I received recommendations for other programs also (Versaterm and
others), but Kermit is FREE.

-  When ready to transfer files, start up a Kermit server on the host
by starting Kermit with the -x switch, as in:

	% kermit -x

-  You can now use the MacKermit menus to send and receive files.  Note
that besides transferring files you can use the remote menu for all kinds
of things (like changing directories on the host).  When ready to continue
normal terminal emulation select "finish" from the remote menu.

-  MacKermit also handles correctly transmission of text files, one of my
complaints about Red Ryder (no more ugly boxes).

-  MacKermit is not the fanciest terminal emulator, though.  I've settled for
using Red Ryder most of the time, and switching to MacKermit when I want to
transfer a batch of files.

-  COMPATIBILITY WARNING:  I was unable to get MacKermit to work on
a Mac SE.  It looks like it's running, but the font shown on the screen
is Zapf Dingbats 9 (ever tried to read Zapf Dingbats?).  I think this is
a problem caused by the fonts in the 256K ROM overriding the fonts in
the MacKermit resource fork.  Anyone who has a solution to this is
requested to send me email.

-  The best way to get MacKermit is to find a friend with a Mac that already
has it.  It can also be ftp'd from cu20b.columbia.edu.  The files you
want are:

	ckmker.bwr	bug reports
	ckmker.doc	manual
	ckmker.hqx	MacKermit (convert with BinHex 4.0)
	ckmker.upd	news
	ckmkey.hqx	Keyboard configuration program
	ckmvt1.doc	documents vt100 emulation capabilities

Almost all of the above files are also present as xk*.*, and correspond
to an experimental newer version.  ck files are version 0.8(34), and xk
files are version 0.8(35).

-  The above files are in region (or directory?) k2.  The easiest way
is to tell ftp to cd there before getting the files, as in:

	ftp> cd k2:

Thanks again to fellow netters for the valuable information.  Anyone
out there with any questions about my experiences is welcome to send
me email.

--
Robert B. Stam                          CSNET: stamr@unc.cs.unc.edu
UNC Computer Science Department		ARPA:  stamr%unc@mcnc.org
Sitterson Hall 083A	           	UUCP:  {ihnp4|decvax}!mcnc!unc!stamr
Chapel Hill, NC 27514                   Phone: (919) 962-1826

zben@umd5.umd.edu (Ben Cranston) (09/18/87)

Gee, the Kermit I am using has wild-card transfers and I think I remember
using it to download a bunch of tech notes while I went out for coffee.

Or, one could TAR up the files, download as one big unit, then use the
Mac TAR that was posted a few weeks ago to unpack the thing on the Mac.
Note: I saved the TAR but haven't had a chance to unpack and test it so I
can't swear this will work.

I would just use the wildcard transfer under Kermit...
--
Copyright 1987 Ben Cranston (you may redistribute ONLY if your recipients can).
       umd5.UUCP    <=      {seismo!mimsy,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben