[comp.sys.mac] FONTs and ResEdit

saf@clyde.UUCP (09/09/87)

I would like to use ResEdit to modify the Monaco font so that capital "I"
looks different from lower case "l".  I copied the font out of the system
file and into a new file, then tried ResEdit on it.  (BTW, the ResEdit came
with MPW 1.0 so it is fairly current - less than a year old.)

There are 3 windows in the font editor.  The two on the right work fine (I
can enter sample text and scroll through the font).  The trouble comes in the
window on the left (the fatbits window).  If I attempt to add a pixel, I get
a few extra pixels off to the right of the character (this effect shows up
both in the fatbits window and in the sample text and scroll windows).
Also, the character shifts to the left in the fatbits window; the "character
boundry markers" move with it.

I also get extra pixels to the right of a character if I simply click on one
of the "boundry markers" - I don't even have to move it!

Is it me or is ResEdit unable to actually edit fonts?  Do I have a broken
copy (seems unlikely) or do I need a later copy?  Does anyone have a font
editor that works!?!?!  I'd hate to have to write my own.

I did a hex dump of the font and compared it to the description in IM.  It
appears to be perfectly formatted.  I noticed that it is a "new ROM" font in
that it has the "fractional character width array" tacked on the end.  Could
this be blowing up ResEdit?  Should I remove it & if so, how?  Will I cause
more problems than I cure this way?

Hellllllllllllp!

	Steve Falco   moss!saf

olson@endor.harvard.edu (Eric Olson) (09/10/87)

In article <13578@clyde.ATT.COM> saf@moss.ATT.COM writes:

>I would like to use ResEdit to modify the Monaco font so that capital "I"
>looks different from lower case "l".  I copied the font out of the system
>file and into a new file, then tried ResEdit on it.  (BTW, the ResEdit came
>with MPW 1.0 so it is fairly current - less than a year old.)
>
>There are 3 windows in the font editor.  The two on the right work fine (I
>can enter sample text and scroll through the font).  The trouble comes in the
>window on the left (the fatbits window).  If I attempt to add a pixel, I get
>a few extra pixels off to the right of the character (this effect shows up
>both in the fatbits window and in the sample text and scroll windows).
>Also, the character shifts to the left in the fatbits window; the "character
>boundry markers" move with it.

The last time I tried to edit a font, I had to use a very old ResEdit
(the one that came on MacStuff 5/85).  I have no idea why the new ResEdits
don't seem to work correctly.  My symptom was that as soon as I edit a
character, it doesn't display at all any more.  I think I was trying to edit
an old-style font, though.

It may well be that the latest ResEdits only work on the latest fonts,
while Quickdraw/System can deal with any version.

-Eric

Eric K. Olson		olson@endor.harvard.edu		harvard!endor!olson

blm@cxsea.UUCP (Brian Matthews) (09/11/87)

In article <13578@clyde.ATT.COM> saf@moss.ATT.COM writes:
|I would like to use ResEdit to modify the Monaco font so that capital "I"
|looks different from lower case "l".  I copied the font out of the system
|file and into a new file, then tried ResEdit on it.  (BTW, the ResEdit came
|with MPW 1.0 so it is fairly current - less than a year old.)

When it comes to ResEdit, less than a year is still wildly old.

|I also get extra pixels to the right of a character if I simply click on one
|of the "boundry markers" - I don't even have to move it!
|Is it me or is ResEdit unable to actually edit fonts?  Do I have a broken
|copy (seems unlikely) or do I need a later copy?  Does anyone have a font
|editor that works!?!?!  I'd hate to have to write my own.

You have an old copy of ResEdit.  I had the same problem (in fact, it was
exactly the same problem, I was fixing I and l in Monaco), so I found a friend
with the latest ResEdit, and that fixed things.  I think the latest version is
1.1 something or the other.
--
Brian L. Matthews                               "A man with one watch knows
...{mnetor,uw-beaver!ssc-vax}!cxsea!blm          what time it is; a man with

jww@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Joel West) (09/12/87)

My experience is that ResEdit does not work to extend
characters to the left, even though it pretends to.
I tried moving the character to the right instead
but can't remember if it worked, or I'd already gotten
disgusted and switched to Fontastic from Altsys.
--
	Joel West  (c/o UCSD)
	Palomar Software, Inc., P.O. Box 2635, Vista, CA  92083

richb@dartvax.UUCP (Richard E. Brown) (09/19/87)

At Dartmouth, Jim Perry designed a "Terminal" font for our
Macintosh terminal emulation program.  It displays all printable
ASCII characters uniquely (eye vs el vs one, zero vs oh, etc.)
and comes in 6, 9, and 12 points.  All sizes are pleasing, and
the 6 point is remarkably readable.

It's currently a resource bound into the terminal program.
Send me a disk, I'll copy the program (along with some other
stuff) onto it and return it.

Rich Brown
Manager of Special Projects
Dartmouth College