[comp.sys.mac] Where is ASCII 205?

raday@thunder.UUCP (09/12/87)

...one more try..

For some reason ASCII #205 and other 2-key combination characters are

unavailable with System 4.1 (and Finder 5.5). While "O overstrike ~" may

not be important in normal english writing, the set-inclusion symbol

in Symbol Font is extremely useful in mathematical manuscripts.

It is bad enough that Aldus(?) provided 2!!! ways to get reverse-set-inclusion:

OPTION-spacebar, and OPTION-SHIFT-spacebar, while relegating the more often

used set inclusion to OPTION-n SHIFT-o. Now we don't have it at all!

Are you there, Apple and/or Aldus?

tecot@apple.UUCP (09/20/87)

In article <346@thunder.UUCP> raday@thunder.UUCP (Alan Day) writes:
>For some reason ASCII #205 and other 2-key combination characters are
>unavailable with System 4.1 (and Finder 5.5). While "O overstrike ~" may
>not be important in normal english writing, the set-inclusion symbol
>in Symbol Font is extremely useful in mathematical manuscripts.

>Are you there, Apple and/or Aldus?

Yes, we're here...

Characters #204 (0xCC) and #205 (0xCD) were inadvertently omitted from the
US character table in systems 4.0 and 4.1.  They are back and will reappear
in the MultiFinder system release.

						_emt