[comp.sys.mac] AppleShare and RAM cache

fitz@cive.ri.cmu.edu (Kerien Fitzpatrick) (09/18/87)

In version 1.0 of AppleShare the RAM cache is supposed to be set to 64k.
Now that version 1.1 is out I was wondering if I could increase the size of
the cache?  Is the cache size limited by machine memory?  If that is the
case I would add additional memory to the SEs acting as servers so that I
could increase the size of the cache.  I am also running LaserShare on the
AppleShare servers (LaserShare is fairly sharp, but would benefit immensely
by the ability to inform users that have queued mail that the printer is out
of paper or that their job has finished).  I tried our university computer
store, but they did not know the answer to these questions.

Kerien Fitzpatrick
Field Robotics Center
Robotics Institute
Carnegie Mellon University
fitz@cive.ri.cmu.edu
(412)268-6564

keith@apple.UUCP (Keith Rollin) (09/19/87)

In article <1046@cive.ri.cmu.edu> fitz@cive.ri.cmu.edu (Kerien Fitzpatrick) writes:
>In version 1.0 of AppleShare the RAM cache is supposed to be set to 64k.
>Now that version 1.1 is out I was wondering if I could increase the size of
>the cache?  Is the cache size limited by machine memory?  If that is the
>case I would add additional memory to the SEs acting as servers so that I
>could increase the size of the cache.  I am also running LaserShare on the
>AppleShare servers (LaserShare is fairly sharp, but would benefit immensely
>by the ability to inform users that have queued mail that the printer is out
>of paper or that their job has finished).  I tried our university computer
>store, but they did not know the answer to these questions.

Actually, AppleShare 1.1 does not use the RAM cache setting that you specify.
When AppleShare is run, it allocates a certain amount of memory for itself, a
certain amount of memory for a concurrent application, and then sets up the
rest as a RAM cache. Therefore, you will always be getting maximum performance
from the RAM cache. You can see the size of the RAM cache at any time by
opening the Control Panel, but you cannot set it.

--

Keith Rollin
Sales Technical Support

Stupid Disclaimer: I read this board for fun, not profit

Stupid Quote: If god had meant man to fly, he would have given him plane tickets

batman@apple.UUCP (Ken Laws) (09/21/87)

As far as RAM caching goes, I think AppleShare 1.1 handles
that itself.

All I know for sure is that our group has an 8 meg Mac II as a
server, and boy does it SCREAM! I can't wait to put it on
EtherTalk!

As Ferris Bueller said, "If you have the means, I highly recommend it."

Ken.