[comp.sys.mac] Back-orders

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (09/21/87)

In article <16825@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA> mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.ARPA (Mike Khaw) writes:

> In article <1796@sputnik.COM> wally@fluke.UUCP () writes:
>>I just had a rather unpleasant run in with Icon Review.  I placed an order
>>about two weeks ago.  At the time I ordered they told me that the item I
>>wanted was on back order and that it would be another 3-4 weeks before they
>>would be able to ship.  Well yesterday I got my VISA statement and found that
>>I have already been charged for the item.  ...
>
>I had the same experience and while I was upset that Icon Review only stated
>their policy in the fine print, they did keep me updated by sending postcards
>at 3 week(?) intervals. ...
>
>On a semi-related track, Bike Nashbar (also a mail order company) has the
>same policy, but they tell you up front when you call (1) if an item is
>backordered, and (2) that if you place the order anyway, they will charge you
>immediately.  I forget the details, but they claim it has something to do with
>THEIR ability to order from their suppliers.

	While collecting info for an order we were placing with MacConnection
the purchaing agent told me up front that the Dove MacSnap boards we wanted
were on back-order and that Dove themselves were also back-ordered (can you
say "1 Meg RAM chips?").  Fine, that was cool.  I enquired about Adobe
Illustrator and they are on order but haven't received them yet, AND since
they haven't had the product before they said they WOULDN'T ACCEPT BACK-ORDERS
for that item.  Now THAT'S good policy -- while they miss this sale now (I will
still order it from then when they do receive it) they avoid so many
problems for us as well as them.  This is the kind of mail order company I
want to do business with (and do).

Flip side,

	joe piazza

Disclaimer:  I disclaim.  I'm just impressed by MacConnection's service.

--- Cogito ergo equus sum.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!jmpiazza
CS: jmpiazza@cs.buffalo.edu
BI: jmpiazza@sunybcs