[comp.sys.mac] FullWrite Professional?

jteh@mulga.oz (J.T. Teh) (09/16/87)

In the September issue of US MacUser, there was a 2-page ad for
FullWrite Professional saying that it was on the streets.
Has anyone seen it on the streets yet or is it still vaporware? If
anyone has bought a copy, could they post a preview of it onto the news?
Thanks. I would like to know very much whether it is really a Word-killer
or just methane gas.

------------
J.T. Teh
===========================
UUCP:	{seismo,mcvax,ukc,ubc-vision}!mulga!jteh
ARPA:	jteh%mulga.oz@seismo.css.gov
CSNET:	jteh%mulga.oz@australia

david@hpsmtc1.UUCP (09/17/87)

Write now, it is just Beta killer methane Gas. Hopefully, A.A.S. will do a better job of fixing their bugs than MicroSoft did with Word!

humphrey@skat.usc.edu (Steve Humphrey) (09/19/87)

In article <2238@mulga.oz> jteh@mulga.oz (J.T. Teh) writes:
>In the September issue of US MacUser, there was a 2-page ad for
>FullWrite Professional saying that it was on the streets.
>Has anyone seen it on the streets yet or is it still vaporware? If
>anyone has bought a copy, could they post a preview of it onto the news?

I got to play with it for about a half hour a couple of weeks ago.
The copy I played with was beta, so I doubt that they're shipping
(though I don't remember what the Ann Arbor rep said).

I realy liked some of the features, but didn't really get to play long
enough to remember exactly what I liked.  Specifically, footnotes,
pictures, chapter references, etc seemed much easier and intuitive
than Word et al.

However, I got el bombo without too much effort: with the spelling
checker if I remember full right  :-) .

BTW. . . . .

I am somewhat worried that most packages have far too many features.
I.E.  FullWrite has a MacDraw like capability for creating pictures.
With multifinder coming out, shouldn't software be DEcentralizing,
that is, performing a single function.  I know a product like MS Works
was needed before multifinder, but now wouldn't software be better if
we could choose only the modules (programs) that we will be actually
using.

I remember so ex-Apple guru commenting on this (don't remember who).
He was upset that even Write Now (a product he otherwise thought was
the ultimate Mac w.p. environment) had included a spelling checker.

Comments?
--
Steve Humphrey                                         USPS:    P.O. Box 1285
humphrey@skat.usc.edu (NOT castor.usc.edu anymore!)          Dixon, CA  95620

isle@dartvax.UUCP (Ken Hancock) (09/19/87)

In article <4469@oberon.USC.EDU> humphrey@skat.usc.edu (Steve Humphrey) writes:

>I am somewhat worried that most packages have far too many features.
>I.E.  FullWrite has a MacDraw like capability for creating pictures.
>With multifinder coming out, shouldn't software be DEcentralizing,
>that is, performing a single function.  I know a product like MS Works
>was needed before multifinder, but now wouldn't software be better if
>we could choose only the modules (programs) that we will be actually
>using.
>
>Comments?

Yup.  I have a comment, or rather a question.

Do you have a mac with at least 2 megs memory?

Yes?  Good, you'll be able to make good use of multifinder and use whatever
applications you want.

No?  Too bad.  Thank goodness some programs have additional tools bundled
within them.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock  //           UUCP: isle@dartvax                    //  Join the
____________//          BITNET: isle@u2.dartmouth.edu          //   SMILE :)

jwhitnel@csib.UUCP (09/21/87)

In article <2238@mulga.oz| jteh@mulga.oz (J.T. Teh) writes:
|In the September issue of US MacUser, there was a 2-page ad for
|FullWrite Professional saying that it was on the streets.
|Has anyone seen it on the streets yet or is it still vaporware? If
|anyone has bought a copy, could they post a preview of it onto the news?

Latest word from ComputerWare is October.  But don't hold your breath.