[comp.sys.mac] disk checker request

neruda@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Steve Neruda) (09/17/87)

I am looking for a disk checker that will write and read all the bits on some
old disks.  I have used some other utilities that check disks but cannot find one that is satisfactory.

			Thanks (in advance),
				--Steve Neruda

disclaimer:  I only work here

dyckman@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Howard L. Dyckman) (09/21/87)

In article <165@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> neruda@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Steve Neruda) writes:
>I am looking for a disk checker that will write and read all the bits on some
>old disks.

The best I can suggest is to use CopyIIMac Sector Copy With Format to
copy a good disk onto the one you are testing.  Do it several times.  While
a bit-by-bit comparison of the result with the original is not done, I believe
it reads back the copy and tests checksums, and this should do the job.

Of course, the next time you format the disk, maybe it will write
the formatting bits is a slightly different place, and you might get a slightly
different result.

Does anyone know how disk mfrs check their disks?

straka@ihlpf.ATT.COM (Straka) (09/22/87)

In article <2404@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> dyckman@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Howard L. Dyckman) writes:
>Does anyone know how disk mfrs check their disks?

Manufacturers (and copying services) use special-purpose (and automated)
disk certifiers.  The good disks get dropped into one bin; the bad into
the other(s).  You need a lot of volume to afford one of these toys!
--
Rich Straka     ihnp4!ihlpf!straka

Advice for the day: "MSDOS - just say no."