[comp.sys.mac] HyperCard distribution For New SEs

jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) (09/15/87)

Apple's policy was(is) that all new macs sold after Aug. 11 would have
HyperCard bundled, right?  Well, I just got a new SE today, and my dealer
told me that they didn't have Hypercard and didn't know when they'd be
getting it, and further had never heard from Apple that they'd be bundling
Hypercard with Macs anyway.  Does anyone know if I am supposed to contact Apple
and have them mail me my copy of HyperCard?  I really wanted to get it
with the Mac (Hypercard is one of the final tip-offs for me to get my SE
now as opposed to waiting).  I am a bit disappointed in Apple for not at least making sure that all new SE owners at least KNOW when or even if they will be
getting HyperCard.

If anyone out there knows what I should do, I'd appreciate the help.

P.S.  Is Multifinder out yet or not?  WIll I be getting this free too?  I
thought so, but now I don't know.  When will it be released if it's not yet
out?

david@hpsmtc1.UUCP (09/17/87)

Hold down the command key (propeller one) and pull down the file menu and
choose protect stack. Then set the level back to scripting or whatever.

Your friendly neighborhood

Hypercard Jedi in Training

David Williams
Macintosh Rebel Forces
Hewlett Packard
Deep in the heart of Cupertino
A couple of Blocks away from Apple

russell@acf3.NYU.EDU (Bill Russell) (09/18/87)

Your dealer is yet another aspiring used-car saleman.  Call Apple and TELL
THEM ABOUT THIS CROOK.  Apple was pretty careful with the one dealer I
like, trust, and speak to to make sure that at least as many Hypercards
as the dealer had inventoried Macs were shipped to them.  What your dealer did
was sell his allotment to the horde who begged him for copies without holding
back enough to cover sales -- then he LIED to you.  I don't know why I still
get upset about dealers; all these stories should be pretty old-hat by now.
-r
(Richard Reich as russell@nyu)

chuq@plaid.UUCP (09/18/87)

In article <3876@cisunx.UUCP> jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) writes:
>Apple's policy was(is) that all new macs sold after Aug. 11 would have
>HyperCard bundled, right?  Well, I just got a new SE today, and my dealer
>told me that they didn't have Hypercard and didn't know when they'd be
>getting it,

My belief is that all Mac's shipped by Apple after a given date would have
Hypercard in the box. That doesn't mean all machines sold to the consumer,
since there will be a supply of Mac's in inventory without it.

>Does anyone know if I am supposed to contact Apple
>and have them mail me my copy of HyperCard?

Not that I'm aware of. Best to just find someone with a copy and get one
from them, or shell out the $49 for the package.

> I am a bit disappointed in Apple for not at least making sure that
>all new SE owners at least KNOW when or even if they will be getting
>HyperCard.

Does anyone (like at Apple) knwo if they boxes will be marked when they
start shipping the new software? Or is it random luck, open the box and see?

>P.S.  Is Multifinder out yet or not?  WIll I be getting this free too?  I
>thought so, but now I don't know.  When will it be released if it's not yet
>out?

If it wasn't in your box, and there wasn't a card to send in, don't expect
it to show up later. I haven't seen multifinder yet (has it shipped, anyone?
I'm waiting!).
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

We live and learn, but not the wiser grow -- John Pomfret (1667-1703)

dgold@apple.UUCP (David Goldsmith) (09/18/87)

In article <28414@sun.uucp> chuq@sun.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>In article <3876@cisunx.UUCP> jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) writes:
>>Apple's policy was(is) that all new macs sold after Aug. 11 would have
>>HyperCard bundled, right?  Well, I just got a new SE today, and my dealer
>>told me that they didn't have Hypercard and didn't know when they'd be
>>getting it,
>
>My belief is that all Mac's shipped by Apple after a given date would have
>Hypercard in the box. That doesn't mean all machines sold to the consumer,
>since there will be a supply of Mac's in inventory without it.

All Macs sold after August 15 are supposed to have HyperCard bundled.  It is
not physically in the box; rather, your dealer is supposed to give you a
copy when you pick up your Mac.

Any time a dealer says they don't know about an Apple program or product,
you should have them check on AppleLink.  All dealers have access to
AppleLink precisely to resolve questions like this.
--
David Goldsmith
Apple Computer, Inc.

AppleLink: GOLDSMITH1
UUCP:  {nsc,dual,sun,voder,ucbvax!mtxinu}!apple!dgold
CSNET: dgold@apple.CSNET, dgold%apple@CSNET-RELAY
BIX: dgoldsmith

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (09/18/87)

<
<My belief is that all Mac's shipped by Apple after a given date would have
<Hypercard in the box. That doesn't mean all machines sold to the consumer,
<since there will be a supply of Mac's in inventory without it.
<
<<Does anyone know if I am supposed to contact Apple
<<and have them mail me my copy of HyperCard?
<
<Not that I'm aware of. Best to just find someone with a copy and get one
<from them, or shell out the $49 for the package.

	Gee, you're awfully generous with his money.  :-)

<< I am a bit disappointed in Apple for not at least making sure that
<<all new SE owners at least KNOW when or even if they will be getting
<<HyperCard.
<
<Does anyone (like at Apple) knwo if they boxes will be marked when they
<start shipping the new software? Or is it random luck, open the box and see?
<< ...
<If it wasn't in your box, and there wasn't a card to send in, don't expect
<it to show up later.

	That would be a poor attitude (to say the least).  Seems to me it
can be handled like many other manufactures handle rebates.  Mail in a copy
of your receipt with the date clearly marked and they give you your rebate.
Simple.  Or perhaps like car rebates (I haven't had one but it can't be all
that complicated).

Flip side,

	joe

--- Cogito ergo equus sum.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!jmpiazza
CS: jmpiazza@cs.buffalo.edu
BI: jmpiazza@sunybcs

isle@dartvax.UUCP (Ken Hancock) (09/19/87)

In article <3876@cisunx.UUCP> jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) writes:
>Apple's policy was(is) that all new macs sold after Aug. 11 would have
>HyperCard bundled, right?  Well, I just got a new SE today, and my dealer
>told me that they didn't have Hypercard and didn't know when they'd be
>getting it, and further had never heard from Apple that they'd be bundling
>Hypercard with Macs anyway.

It sounds as if you have a run-of-the-mill dealer.   (No offense to dealers
on here.)  I've found most that I've used rely on customers to tell them
what they're supposed to get.  HyperCard should have been included in the SE
box.  So, I'm not sure what you should do.  Calling both Apple and getting
on the dealer's case would be your best bet.  :)

Ken

--
Ken Hancock  //           UUCP: isle@dartvax                    //  Join the
____________//          BITNET: isle@u2.dartmouth.edu          //   SMILE :)

shap@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Shapiro) (09/20/87)

In article <28414@sun.uucp>, chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
> My belief is that all Mac's shipped by Apple after a given date would have
> Hypercard in the box.

I just bought a Mac II and got HyperCard - in a separate box. Unless they
are prepared to seriously redesign the packaging I don't see how they will
get it into that box. I was simply given the HyperCard package.

Was I supposed to get the multifinder too? Anything else I should have
gotten with the deal that I didn't know about?

Jon

chuq%plaid@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) (09/21/87)

>It sounds as if you have a run-of-the-mill dealer.   (No offense to dealers
>on here.)  I've found most that I've used rely on customers to tell them
>what they're supposed to get.

Another (not so nice) possibility is that the dealer is a gray market
dealer who buys their stuff not from Apple, but from another Apple dealer
(in violation of that dealer's sales agreement). Since they have not
official standing with Apple, Apple wouldn't tell them anything or ship them
stuff...

Another reason to buy from an authorized dealer...

chuq
Chuq Von Rospach	chuq@sun.COM		Delphi: CHUQ

We live and learn, but not the wiser grow -- John Pomfret (1667-1703)

maddie@pnet01.CTS.COM (Tom Schenck) (09/21/87)

Well, BEING a dealer, I can say they probably ran out of Hypercard. It's a
product that goes quickly, and for a good reason : It's FUN. As for getting
your copy free, just stop in at the dealer and show him your recept. If he
doesn't give you one, tell you you'll call Apple, THEN he'll give you one!

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!maddie
ARPA: crash!pnet01!maddie@nosc.mil
INET: maddie@pnet01.CTS.COM

shap@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Shapiro) (09/21/87)

In article <7127@dartvax.UUCP>, isle@dartvax.UUCP (Ken Hancock) writes:
> In article <3876@cisunx.UUCP> jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) writes:
> > ... Problems about hypercard deleted ...
> So, I'm not sure what you should do.  Calling both Apple and getting
> on the dealer's case would be your best bet.  :)
>
> Ken

In this case I agree with Ken - it sounds like your dealer isn't being
particularly helpful. In general, however, the dealers are decent folk, and
having been one (thought not for Apple), I can safely say that the amount
of information they get from their manufacturers is usually miniscule, even
when the manufacturer tries real hard. There are just too many dealers, and
getting the information ends up costing the dealer money he doesn't have.

So by all means contact both Apple and your dealer. Contact the dealer
first. Most of them are decent enough and will be happy to correct any
error they have made. If they don't, gripe to Apple about the dealer *and*
about inadequate enforcement of their dealer agreements.

If they do, then they may just not have known. You should still gripe to
Apple - about inadequately communicating their policies to their dealers.

cheeser@dasys1.UUCP (09/23/87)

The kindly folks at Apple Tech Support East would like to make available
to the users of the net a publication called Tech Tidbits.  Tech Tidbits
is published weekly and contains questions and answers recieved at Apple
about the apple lines of computers.  In addition there are articles and
news of interest to the owners of Apple computers.  There are two versions
of Tech tidbits, one for the apple // series and one for the Mac series.
The Apple // version is available on comp.sys.apple for any that are interested
in previewing it.  If you would like to see tech tidbits posted here, let
me know and I will post it to the net on a weekly basis, till Tech East
sets up its own node in a few months.  The current edition is a catch up of
several months worth of tidbits, to be followed by a shorter catchup
version for the past month, after which time it will be the relatively
short weekly postings.

Let me know at:
cheeser@dasys1.UUCP
or:
{allegra,philabs,cmc12}!phri\
      {bellcore,cmc12}!cucard>!dasys1!cheeser
              iihnp4!hoptoad/
--
cheeser
Jonathan Bing, Master (cheeser)			...ihnp4!hoptoad!dasys1!cheeser