[comp.sys.mac] Standardize Speller Dictionaries, please!!

gergely@dalcs.UUCP (Peter Gergely) (09/21/87)

	Owning Ready-Set-Go! 3, Word 3.0.1, and Spellswell 2.0, I
really wish there was a standard format for spelling dictionaries.  It
becomes very annoying after little use to put the changes in all 3
separate dictionaries, plus the amount of disk space that they take up
could be used for more productive purposes.  I hope that some of the
software developpers read this message and take it to heart to try to
standardize the spelling dictionaries with others.
	As an aside, it also would be very nice if a British Spelling
Dictionary could be included with the spelling correctors.  Microsoft
is the only one to have such with Word 3.  In Canada, the standard is
to use the British spelling of words.  Thus, this is one of the main
set of changes that I have to do to all the other dictionaries I own.
--
Peter J. Gergely (DREA, P.O. Box 1012, Dartmouth, NS  B2Y 3Z7  Canada)
      ARPANET:  gergely@DREA-XX.ARPA (preferred) or Peter@DREA-GRIFFIN.ARPA

gross@watdcsu.waterloo.edu (Evan Gross [Sys Des]) (09/22/87)

It's difficult to standardize on a spelling checker dictionary,
since generally speaking dictionaries are licensed by the software
developer from a dictionary producer.

If there was only one dictionary producer or they all had the
same features and/or price, then maybe things would be easier...

The dictionary used by Thunder! (from Electronic Arts) was
created by a Canadian firm and by default contains all the
British/Canadian spellings that you've been adding to your
other dictionaries.

Evan Gross
(Author of Thunder!)

isle@dartvax.UUCP (09/23/87)

In article <2633@dalcs.UUCP> gergely@dalcs.UUCP (Peter Gergely) writes:

>	Owning Ready-Set-Go! 3, Word 3.0.1, and Spellswell 2.0, I
>really wish there was a standard format for spelling dictionaries.  It
>becomes very annoying after little use to put the changes in all 3
>separate dictionaries, plus the amount of disk space that they take up
>could be used for more productive purposes.

I understand your plight, but my question is why use all 3?  I've been
quite happy with Microsoft Word's spelling checker.  With Ready-Set-Go! 3,
most text is done in a word processor, then inserted, so spelling-checking
should be done in the word processor.

--
Ken Hancock      UUCP: isle@dartvax
               BITNET: isle@u2.dartmouth.edu

DISCLAIMER: If people weren't so sue-happy, I wouldn't need one!