[comp.sys.mac] Need Info about SideKick 2.0 & V.I.P.

jlc@atux01.UUCP (09/14/87)

Can anyone give me information on what's included with Sidekick 2.0?  Why do
you find it so useful?

Also, what is your opinion on V.I.P. (Visual Interactive Programming) by
Mainstay?

Thanks for your input.

						Jim Collymore

rbl@nitrex.UUCP (09/23/87)

In article <524@atux01.UUCP> jlc@atux01.UUCP (J. Collymore) writes:

>Also, what is your opinion on V.I.P. (Visual Interactive Programming) by
>Mainstay?

I have had a copy of V.I.P. for several months.  I think it is an incredible
way to "program", once you figure out the strategy.  For example, in trying
my first program  --- one that will 'subtract' two MacPaint images  ---
I decided to use one of their example programs as a model.  VIP will
generate a dependency tree (what calls what) and I used that as a roadmap
to inspect each routine, write the switch() parameters onto the roadmap,
and deduce that the strategy was to use selection from the menus to fire
off various actions.  I don't have much time for this activity, but less than
an hour for a new utility with a language I've not used before seems pretty
good  --  but maybe HyperTalk will be better when I try it.

VIP's manual is complete, but not easy to use.  Think reference manual, not
tutorial.  Their recent upgrade (2.2) added some very nice features.

I heard that they will be bringing out a new version that will generate
C code for various C compilers.  If that comes about, a Mac with VIP could
be a very powerful workstation front-end to VAXen, etc!

--
Rob Lake
{decvax,ihnp4!cbosgd}!mandrill!nitrex!rbl