[comp.sys.mac] Mac SE SIMMs from MacProducts USA

jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) (09/19/87)

Does anyone know anything about the $199 1Meg SIMMs being sold by MacProducts
USA (800-MAC-DISK)?  It says "over 4000 upgrades completed", and "30 money-
back guarantee", but I don't know the company who makes them.  Also, are they
user-installed, or do you have to send your Mac away?

Does the installation of these SIMMs void your warranty?  My SE is new, so it
is still under warranty.  I will be needing a memory upgrade soon, tho... so
anyone know of upgrades that DON'T void the warranty?  (Apple's, I suppose.)

Jeff Sullivan				University of Pittsburgh
pitt!cisunx!jasst3			Intelligent Systems Studies Program
jasper@PittVMS (BITNET)			Graduate Student
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) (09/23/87)

In article <3902@cisunx.UUCP> jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) writes:
>Does anyone know anything about the $199 1Meg SIMMs being sold by MacProducts
>USA (800-MAC-DISK)?  It says "over 4000 upgrades completed", and "30 money-
>back guarantee", but I don't know the company who makes them.  Also, are they
>user-installed, or do you have to send your Mac away?
>
>Does the installation of these SIMMs void your warranty?  My SE is new, so it
>is still under warranty.  I will be needing a memory upgrade soon, tho... so
>anyone know of upgrades that DON'T void the warranty?  (Apple's, I suppose.)
>
>Jeff Sullivan				University of Pittsburgh
>pitt!cisunx!jasst3			Intelligent Systems Studies Program
>jasper@PittVMS (BITNET)			Graduate Student
*******  This is from a random interested user and has nothing ********
*******  to do with my association with apple                  ********
	I just called and asked about 1 Meg SIMMs and the scoop is that they
are selling 120 NS 1 Meg SIMMS (good for Plus, SE or II) for $249 a piece.
In other words, you need to pop $498 to add 2 Meg or a grand to upgrade to
4 Meg.  The upgrade is user installed and will probably void your warranty
if it hasn't already expired.  About the only way to avoid voiding the
warranty is to have an apple certified dealer install it.  If you can talk
one into installing these cheaper simms it shouldn't void the warranty.
	As to the quoted $199 price "That was an earlier price and we
were unable to get the chips at that price."  You decide whether or not
it's misadvertisement.  It doesn't appear that they ever had any...
	Still looks like a bargain to me if you don't mind dealing with
folks who will quote a price they can't meet.
--
	David W. Berry
	dwb@well.uucp                   dwb@Delphi

korn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) (09/23/87)

In <6319@apple.UUCP>, dwb@apple.UUCP (David W. Berry) said:
>In article <3902@cisunx.UUCP> jasst3@cisunx.UUCP (sullivan jeffrey a.) writes:
>>Does anyone know anything about the $199 1Meg SIMMs being sold by MacProducts
>>USA (800-MAC-DISK)?
>	I just called and asked about 1 Meg SIMMs and the scoop is that they
>are selling 120 NS 1 Meg SIMMS (good for Plus, SE or II) for $249 a piece.
>In other words, you need to pop $498 to add 2 Meg or a grand to upgrade to
>4 Meg.
>	As to the quoted $199 price "That was an earlier price and we
>were unable to get the chips at that price."  You decide whether or not
>it's misadvertisement.  It doesn't appear that they ever had any...
>	Still looks like a bargain to me if you don't mind dealing with
>folks who will quote a price they can't meet.

In all fairness Dave, their advertizements may have gone out 6 weeks ago,
just prior to the 1 Megabit chip market went kablowie.  There was one
week in which I could get ahold of 1 Megabit chips at $15/chip, and two
weeks later that price was $25/chip, and fast climbing to $32/chip.  Toshiba
makes some 60% of these chips, and now with them temporarily out of the US
market, the other vendors are getting a windfall profit b/c they can charge
the bigger corporations who will easily eat up most of the remaining 40%
of the chip supply.

Muliplying it out, $249 is an *excellent* price for those SIMMs.  But...
that price may be completely out of line in 3 months, depending upon what
Capitol Hill decides, and how the other 1 Megabit chip vendors react.

Peter
--
Peter "Arrgh" Korn
korn@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU