[comp.sys.mac] Mac+ Upgrading Info

bill@hao.UCAR.EDU (Bill Roberts) (09/11/87)

A while back I posted a query about the best way to upgrade to 2 Meg for the
Mac+.  I received a few responses and did some checking on my own.  A number
of folks sent me email asking me to pass the results on to them so I thought
I'd just post it here for public consumption.

Here is the list of distributors offering a 2Meg upgrade for the Mac+:
(Note I'm only considering the 1 Meg CMOS SIMM products... which are more
 expensive but consume less power and hence generate less heat.  The cheaper
 upgrade is via 256K SIMMs which overlay the current SIMMs in the Plus.
 Also, the 1 Meg CMOS SIMMs give your Mac 2.5 Meg of RAM! The price of the
 cheaper upgrade is in the $250-$300.00 price range.

Product	 	Distributor		Price		Other stuff...
Dove 2H		Programs Plus		$569.00	  	  (1)
		1-800-832-3201
Dove 2S		ComputerWare		$625.00		  (2)
		1-800-235-1155
Ram II		Open Mac	 	$599.00 	  (3)
		1-415-682-0440
Dove 2S		MacConnection		$659.00		  (4)
		1-800-622-5472

(1) Programs Plus doesn't carry the 2S version.  Note that the 2S is designed
    to work with internal devices (i.e. in support of internal drives, large
    screens, etc) and is a lower profile chip than that in the 2H version.
    Out-O-Stock (9/10/87)
(2) ComputerWare claims that the 2H has been discontinued.
    Out-O-Stock (9/10/87)
(3) Plus $8.00 for 2nd day air shipping. IN STOCK!  Their 256K SIMM upgrade
    is $299.00 NOT $200.00.  At least that's what I was told over the phone.
(4) Out-O-Stock (9/10/87)

One more thing to note.  Apparently during the installation of the Dove
upgrades a 256k resistor must be removed.  This voids the warranty on the Mac
(which is no big deal if your warranty is up anyway).  The OPEN MAC kit is
no destructive so that warranty is retained.  Plus its easier to install!

Hope that this posting helps others.

--Bill

UUCP: {hplabs, seismo, nbires, noao}!hao!bill
CSNET: bill@ncar.csnet
ARPA: bill%ncar@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
INTERNET: bill@hao.ucar.edu

  "... the Eagle Wing palace of the Queen Chinee'"

marcus@weyl.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (09/24/87)

In article <888@hao.UCAR.EDU> bill@hao.UCAR.EDU (Bill Roberts) writes:
>A while back I posted a query about the best way to upgrade to 2 Meg for the
>Mac+.  I received a few responses and did some checking on my own.  A number
>of folks sent me email asking me to pass the results on to them so I thought
>I'd just post it here for public consumption.
>
>Here is the list of distributors offering a 2Meg upgrade for the Mac+:
>Ram II		Open Mac	 	$599.00 	  (3)
>		1-415-682-0440

> (3) ... cost for 256K chips    is $299.00 NOT $200.00.  At least that's what I was told over the phone.

No, actually the 120 ns 256K chip upgrade from open mac is $200, as I posted.
I have it sitting in my mac II right now. There have been no problems
 after several months. It arrived the day after I ordered it.

Disclaimer: Ihave no connection with OPEN MAC other than being
a satisfied customer.
	mat marcus
	ucbvax!brahms!marcus
	marcus@brahms.berkeley.edu