[comp.sys.mac] [Affordable] Color Postscript Printer within our lifetimes?

esf00@amdahl.amdahl.com (Elliott S. Frank) (09/23/87)

[from _Electrical Engineering Times_, 21 Sept 87]

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Two pioneers in the transfer of computer images
to printed paper, laser printer pioneer QMS Inc. (Mobile, Ala.) and
PostScript page description language developer Adobe Systems, Inc., are
teaming up to ship a high resolution color page printer early next year.

The companies will use Mitsubishi's 300 dpi color thermal transfer
printing engine.  The printer uses sequential wax-transfer color sheets
to thermally lay down square pixels at 300 dpi density.  Using a QMS
controller, guided by PostScript's graphical sculpting software, over
35 type faces will be standard.  Serial, parallel and AppleTalk
communications interfaces are planned for the as-yet unpriced printer.
--

Elliott S Frank    ...!{hplabs,ames,sun}!amdahl!esf00     (408) 746-6384
               or ....!{bnrmtv,drivax,hoptoad}!amdahl!esf00

[I have no connection with ComputerWare, other than as a satisifed customer.]
[the above opinions are strictly mine, if anyone's.]
[the above signature may or may not be repeated, depending upon some
inscrutable property of the mailer-of-the-week.]

montnaro@sprite.steinmetz (Skip Montanaro) (09/23/87)

In article <14852@amdahl.amdahl.com> esf00@amdahl.amdahl.com (Elliott S. Frank) writes:
>The companies will use Mitsubishi's 300 dpi color thermal transfer
>printing engine.  The printer uses sequential wax-transfer color sheets
>to thermally lay down square pixels at 300 dpi density.

If you would like to see how good 300 dpi color looks, give your local
Tektronix sales office a call and ask for a demo of their wax
deposition color printer, which also uses the Mitsubishi engine.
Skip (montanaro@ge-crd.arpa or uunet!steinmetz!sprite!montanaro)

richard@gryphon.UUCP (09/24/87)

Correction, the QMS color postscript printer is a 240 dpi device, as are
most of the thermal dye x-fer printers.

QMS has doubled the clock rate of the 68000 in their "standard" postscript
lasers.

(I got this form a QMS hospitality suite at a recent National Apollo
users group meeting)

...so I asked the QMS fella what they had in the skunkworks, he said
"well, I can't tell you this, but 68020's and color lasers, Q2 '88"

You didnt hear it here.

--
Richard J. Sexton
INTERNET:     richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

"It's too dark to put the keys in my ignition..."