[comp.sys.mac] Binhex through email question

kresch@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Ed Kresch) (09/25/87)

I have never seen binhex posted and I was wondering if this were coincidence
or the result of some sort of legal restriction on its distribution.

I have a basic program which creates an executable version of binhex and I
would be happy to email this to anyone who needs it, but I am concerned that
I would be violating some sort of legal restriction on its distribution.  Does
anyone know about this?

Thanks.

						Ed Kresch

mentat@auscso.UUCP (Robert Dorsett) (09/25/87)

In article <1139@vu-vlsi.UUCP> kresch@vu-vlsi.UUCP (Ed Kresch) writes:
>I have never seen binhex posted and I was wondering if this were coincidence
>or the result of some sort of legal restriction on its distribution.
>
>I have a basic program which creates an executable version of binhex and I
>would be happy to email this to anyone who needs it, but I am concerned that
>I would be violating some sort of legal restriction on its distribution.  Does
>anyone know about this?

Binhex is a byproduct of one of those so-called "standards" conferences on
CompuServe.  It is very, very public-domain, except that you can't make a
profit from it.  The author retains copyright.

The reason you don't see it posted is that (a) it'd be a waste of resources
and (b) it'd be difficult to transmit, as one would need Binhex to use it!
If anyone needs Binhex, I'd recommend contacting your local dealer or neigh-
borhood users group.  It's a very, very common program.

The author proper has written a couple of BASIC Binhex's.  They will produce
2.0 and 4.0 binaries, if run.  Be sure you have the right one; 2.0 doesn't
need any distributing! :-)   The problem with BASIC, of course, is that not
everyone owns it.

A small bit of resourcefulness would probably net a novice a DISK full of
telecommunications utilities, if he were to just try local sources first.

--
Robert Dorsett                          {allegra,seismo}!sally!ngp!walt!mentat
University of Texas at Austin           {allegra,seismo}!sally!ngp!mentat