[comp.sys.mac] MS Word Question

peter@aucs.UUCP (09/24/87)

I have a question concerning Microsoft Word 3.01. I was using it
yesterday and double clicked in the lower left corner window.
Normally doing this gives the prompt "CODE" and then you enter
your desired character code and that character is inserted at the
current cursor position. This time, however, I got the prompt "FONT"
and could enter a font name, the same as using command-shift-E. I
tried this several times and it always prompted for a font. I thought
it must be a change in 3.01m but today when I tried it, I get "CODE"
again, and cannot get "FONT" no matter what I try. What did I do
yesterday that I'm not doing today?

Peter Steele Acadia Univ. Wolfville NS Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121
{uunet|watmath|utai|garfield}dalcs!aucs!Peter.BITNET Peter@Acadia.UUCP

russ@oakhill.UUCP (Russell Schwausch) (09/25/87)

In article <446@aucs.UUCP> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>I have a question concerning Microsoft Word 3.01. I was using it
>yesterday and double clicked in the lower left corner window.
>Normally doing this gives the prompt "CODE" and then you enter
>your desired character code and that character is inserted at the
>current cursor position. This time, however, I got the prompt "FONT"
>and could enter a font name, the same as using command-shift-E. I
>tried this several times and it always prompted for a font. I thought
>it must be a change in 3.01m but today when I tried it, I get "CODE"
>again, and cannot get "FONT" no matter what I try. What did I do
>yesterday that I'm not doing today?

The double-click gets you whatever you did last.
If you did a command-shift-E, double-click gets you FONT.
If you did a command-option-Q, double-click gets you CODE.
I didn't find this in the manual, I experimented.
I don't know what other keyboard commands work this way.
If someone has a complete list, please post it or tell us where it is in the
manual.

I would like to see a section in Macintosh Application manuals that
summarizes all the places you can click the mouse and the resulting actions.
I don't expect this for a game like Shadowgate where the trick is to read the
creator's mind and figure out what operations are supported on each screen.
But for business applications I would rather not have to use trial and error
and error and error and ...

--
Russell Schwausch, Motorola Inc., OakHill, Tx. (A suburb of Austin)
UUCP: {harvard,ihnp4,seismo,gatech,nbires}..!ut-sally!oakhill!russ

It's a ticket agent, it's a fare collector, no ... it's SUPERCONDUCTOR!!!