[comp.sys.mac] Who rules the menu bar?

tomc@mntgfx.UUCP (09/24/87)

I have a question concerning the use of the menu bar.
Since the current application gets to use the menu
bar for its menus, doen't this entitle the application
to user the WHOLE menubar?

The problem.  Programs like Switcher and Multifinder
user the right hand side of the menu bar to put a small
'picture'.  (ie double arrow, or the current application)

If an applications menus were to reach that far right,
who has the right to use that space.  It seems to me that
the menu bar belongs to the application, and not the
running environment.

In a program I'm writing I put my own SICN's in the
right side of the menu bar, which would compete with
Switch or Mulitfinder.

Who has the right of way?

: Tom Carstensen              Usenet: tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM :
: Mentor Graphics             GEnie:                         :

singer@endor.UUCP (09/24/87)

In article <937@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM> tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Tom Carstensen) writes:
>I have a question concerning the use of the menu bar.
>Since the current application gets to use the menu
>bar for its menus, doen't this entitle the application
>to user the WHOLE menubar?

	No. You may use as much of the menu bar as you need for MENUS ONLY.
Not to draw arbitrary stuff in the right-hand edge. That privilege is reserved
for the system software.

>If an applications menus were to reach that far right,
>who has the right to use that space.  It seems to me that
>the menu bar belongs to the application, and not the
>running environment.

	As I said, take as much space as you need for menus. But if you have
so many menus that you're crowding out the right side of the menu bar, perhaps
you need to rethink your menu layout and perhaps your user interface.

>In a program I'm writing I put my own SICN's in the
>right side of the menu bar, which would compete with
>Switch or Mulitfinder.
>
>Who has the right of way?

	MultiFinder does.

		--Rich

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

Richard M. Siegel
Customer Support Representative
THINK Technologies, Inc.

**The opinions stated herein are my own opinions and do not necessarily
represent the policies or opinions of my employer (THINK Technologies, Inc).

Richard M. Siegel
Customer Support Representative
THINK Technologies, Inc.

tim@hoptoad.UUCP (09/24/87)

I don't feel like digging through Inside Mac to find it, but there is an
explicit statement that the application menu bar must leave room for desk
accessory menus.  If you do anything with the menu bar past a certain point,
then you are not following the long-established spec.  Since in MultiFinder
DA's get their own menu bars, Apple has just taken space guaranteed to be
left empty by correct software and done something useful with it.
--
Tim Maroney, {ihnp4,sun,well,ptsfa,lll-crg}!hoptoad!tim (uucp)
hoptoad!tim@lll-crg (arpa)

isle@dartvax.UUCP (Ken Hancock) (09/25/87)

In article <937@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM> tomc@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Tom Carstensen) writes:

>If an applications menus were to reach that far right,
>who has the right to use that space.  It seems to me that
>the menu bar belongs to the application, and not the
>running environment.

That's a good question.  There are a few programs now that drag the menu
bar all the way across to the right side.  Word 3.01 for instance, with the
Work menu.  Both sort of overlap and throw the situation into a higgledy-
piggledy mess.

Ken

--
Ken Hancock      UUCP: isle@dartvax
               BITNET: isle@u2.dartmouth.edu

DISCLAIMER: If people weren't so sue-happy, I wouldn't need one!