[comp.sys.mac] Aztec Debugger problems

cbn@wiley.UUCP (09/24/87)

I have a fairly large program under development (~ 100k) which I'm
trying to debug using Aztec's 'db' symbolic debugger.  Db starts ok
and loads the program, but I get a "no more symbol space" message. (The
exact wording may be different.)

I first thought I might be out of memory, since I was originally using a
512ke machine, but the same problem occurs on a Mac plus. I can run the
program from db once it's loaded but it behaves strangely and I suspect the
lack of symbols is causing db to act up.  The 'dc' command shows a large
symbol table in the code segment, so I suspect that load worked.  It
probably ran out of space loading the symbols in the data segment - a 'dd'
command shows nothing.

Does anyone out there have experience with this problem?  I've tried both
the 1.06h and the 3.4 versions of 'db'.  Is there any way to expand the
space reserved by 'db' for its tables?

Thanks in advance...

Chris B. Newton
TRW - Redondo Beach, Ca.
----------------------------------
USENET: {cit-vax,trwrb}!wiley!cbn
Compuserve: 70315,1211

saunders@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (kevin eric saunders) (09/25/87)

In article <1403@wolfgang.UUCP> cbn@wiley.UUCP (Chris Newton) writes:
>I have a fairly large program under development (~ 100k) which I'm
>trying to debug using Aztec's 'db' symbolic debugger.  Db starts ok
>and loads the program, but I get a "no more symbol space" message. (The
>exact wording may be different.)

   RTFM :-) (I concede it's not the best organized!):  The '-ssize' option
increases the size of the symbol table.

   Whatever some folks may say, db is not vaporware.  It provides a
pretty good excuse for using Aztec's C product.

   good luck,
   kevin

--
Kevin Eric Saunders