[comp.sys.mac] Tech Note #0

takahash@bnrmtv.UUCP (Alan Takahashi) (09/24/87)

I've been having a problem with trying to Binhex most of the Mac Tech
Notes that have been posted in comp.binaries.mac.  A typical example
is the Technical Note #0 recently posted.  When I run the file through
binhex, I get a file with the following attributes:

           File   : "Mactech #0"
           Type   : "0: A"
           Creator: "bout"

which appear to have garbage in it (I tried forcing the type to "TEXT" and
the creator to "WORD").  The only thing that I can think of is that the
header says to use Binhex 4.0, but I have Binhex 5.0.

Is this my problem?  If so, could someone send me a copy of Binhex 4.0?

Many thanks in advance.

Alan Takahashi  *at*  ...!{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax,ames}!bnrmtv!takahashi

======

P.S.  In case anyone is wondering, just received the second copy of
      "Macintosh Today" ... exactly ONE week late!

gjditchfield@violet.waterloo.edu (Glen Ditchfield) (09/26/87)

In article <2575@bnrmtv.UUCP> takahash@bnrmtv.UUCP (Alan Takahashi) writes:
>I've been having a problem with trying to Binhex most of the Mac Tech
>Notes that have been posted in comp.binaries.mac.  A typical example
>is the Technical Note #0 recently posted.  When I run the file through
>binhex, I get a file with the following attributes:
>
>           File   : "Mactech #0"
>           Type   : "0: A"
>           Creator: "bout"

The problem is that you didn't delete all the text above the "(This
file..." line.  Normally you don't have to, but the Tech Notes all have
lines in them that look like
   [Macintosh Technical Notes - #0: About Macintosh Technical Notes]
I think that when Binhex[4,5] sees the colon, it starts treating the
following text as encoded data.

Don't feel bad; this problem bites me once in each tech note batch, and I
know better!  Mr. Moderator: could you arrange to have these lines removed
from future postings?

While I'm making whining noises... ERVision and Design each came through as
segments of a giant Binhex file.  UnBinhexing those files produced giant
PackIt files, which included the documentation.  I would prefer that large
programs be distributed as one Binhexed PackIt file of the documentation,
and one Binhexed PackIt file of the program and sample documents, segmented
as necessary.  Then I could download the documentation, read it, and decide
whether I want to download the program.  Downloading Design took hours.  If
I ever submit a large program, should I arrange things this way, or does
the moderator repack things as he pleases?

(I could use xbin, unpit, and unxbin on the Vax, and occasionally I do.
But I would rather burn CPU time on my computer than the University's.)

--
Glen Ditchfield                      {watmath,utzoo,ihnp4}!watrose!gjditchfield
Dept of Computer Science, U of Waterloo         (519) 885-1211 x6658

takahash@bnrmtv.UUCP (Alan Takahashi) (09/29/87)

Thanks to all those who answer my question about what I was doing
wrong with the Mac Tech Notes.  Yes, indeedy, I was not stripping
off the text information before the "(This file must be ..." line.

Oh well, sometimes the obvious is the hardest to see...

Alan Takahashi  *at*  ...!{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax,ames}!bnrmtv!takahashi

shap@sfsup.UUCP (J.S.Shapiro) (09/29/87)

In article <3552@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, gjditchfield@violet.UUCP writes:
> In article <2575@bnrmtv.UUCP> takahash@bnrmtv.UUCP (Alan Takahashi) writes:
> >I've been having a problem with trying to Binhex most of the Mac Tech
> >Notes...
> The problem is that you didn't delete all the text above the "(This
> file..." line.

May I suggest that both of you folks get a hold of xbin and macput/macget.
xbin does the dehexifying *on the UNIX system*, and macput/macget happily
send the complete file with no problems.

xbin knows enough to look for the (This file...
It in fact depends on it, which is why the line is in *every* posting
you see.