[comp.sys.mac] MacCharlie

joseph@cooper.UUCP (Joe Giannuzzi) (09/28/87)

	Does anyone out there know anything about MacCharlie?  I would
be interested in getting it but I have no concrete info on it.  (ex.
how compatible, how fast ...)  Please respond before I make a purchase
that I may live to regret.

	Thanx in advance.

Joe Gunoz	cmcl2!phri!cooper!joseph

"The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe,
 and everything is ... forty two."

dhac@ur-tut.UUCP (Darren Jay Hacker) (09/29/87)

In article <1024@cooper.UUCP> joseph@cooper.UUCP (Joe Giannuzzi) writes:

>	Does anyone out there know anything about MacCharlie?  I would
>be interested in getting it but I have no concrete info on it.  (ex.
>how compatible, how fast ...)  Please respond before I make a purchase
>that I may live to regret.
>
>	Thanx in advance.

Dayna Communications has released their new DaynaFile (presumably to replace
their MacCharlie).  DaynaFile is a SCSI Drive unit that comes with one or
two floppies (2x5.25"; 1x3.5", 1x 5.25"; etc.) and can handle MS-DOS files
from PC, XT or AT disks (dependent on configuration) the same way as your
Mac handles its own.  Disks supposedly pop up on the Desktop as "fat disks",
and subdirectories are represented by folders.  The only thing you can't do
is run the software off them.  But, if you have an SE or II, you could always
get a PC board from a vendor such as AST.  I think this configuration would
be ideal for the SE, since Apple's solution would be to buy their MS-DOS card
which would take up the only available slot in the SE.

If you are interested in DaynaFile, or are curious to see if MacCharlie is
still available (although I doubt it, I can't be sure):

	Dayna Communication
	50 Main Street
	Salt Lake City, Utah 84411
	(801) 531-0600

DISCLAIMER: This information is NOT first hand.
		Sources: MACWORLD - August 1987; MacUser: October 1987

>Joe Gunoz	cmcl2!phri!cooper!joseph

							DJ Hacker

Darren Jay Hacker	  Internet: dhac@tut.cc.rochester.edu
"The fault, dear Brutus,      UUCP: dhac@ur-tut.UUCP		    \ / ,|.
 is not in our stars,	       (or) ...{ames,cmcl2,decvax,rutgers}   X ( | )
 but in our software		       !rochester!ur-tut!dhac	    / \ `|'